NEWS:

1.7 Bugs, etc.

Discuss Brogue -- strategy, feature requests, discoveries, character builds...

1.7 Bugs, etc.

Postby thedrin » October 19th, 2012, 1:30 am

Seed: 1350629259

On level 1 a vault is generated with a wooden barricade instead of a door.
thedrin

Re: 1.7 Bugs, etc.

Postby tinyrodent » October 19th, 2012, 1:46 am

Probably not a bug... I've seen much more variety with vaults in 1.7 - back door, regular door, secret door, no door at all... ;)
tinyrodent

Postby thedrin » October 19th, 2012, 2:18 am

Yeah, probably not a bug. I'm seeing a lot of situations like that.
thedrin

Postby Goratrix » October 19th, 2012, 4:44 am

The dart stacking bug (described in the release thread) is pretty nasty, I think it warrants a hotfix release...

Also I have seen the following door configuration:

#........
#........
#........
#+#.....
#........
#........

Not sure if that is supposed to happen or a bug, in any case it's harmless.
Goratrix

Postby Karuku » October 19th, 2012, 8:13 am

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but I've noticed that while hallucinating, summoned blades do not change shape or color.
Karuku

Postby tinyrodent » October 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

Bug? I polymorphed a lich into a naga. After killing the naga, a phylactery spawned.

In 1.6.4, I noticed a similar issue: wearing armor of multiplicity, when a lich hit me it spawned spectral lich allies. But after they were destroyed, non spectral phylactery spawned. And then non spectral hostile liches spawned, ouch!
tinyrodent

Postby morphles » October 19th, 2012, 11:08 am

tinyrodent wrote:Bug? I polymorphed a lich into a naga. After killing the naga, a phylactery spawned.

Not a bug, was discussed somewhere else, I think it was the case from the beginning.
morphles

Postby Pender » October 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

Everything listed here so far is working as intended (except the dart stacking thing, which was mentioned elsewhere).
Pender
Site Admin

Postby psly4mne » October 19th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Going up the stairs from level N+1 to level N also reveals the other staircase on level N on the map, even if I've never seen it. Minor bug, but I've used it to find the stairs back if I fall through a hole.

Charms start out identified, but they're still considered valid targets for scrolls of identify. They should probably not be.
psly4mne

Postby Sas » October 20th, 2012, 4:44 am

I have negated a troll and it still regenerates quickly.
Is that a bug?
Sas

Postby Patashu » October 20th, 2012, 7:02 am

Sas wrote:I have negated a troll and it still regenerates quickly.
Is that a bug?

Regeneration is not considered a negatable property.
Patashu

Postby Goratrix » October 20th, 2012, 11:01 am

seed #1350749304

there is a vault on depth 2 that seems to be inaccessible... or is this some kind of new trick I haven't figured out? :?:
Goratrix

Postby tinyrodent » October 20th, 2012, 11:05 am

Goratrix wrote:seed #1350749304

there is a vault on depth 2 that seems to be inaccessible... or is this some kind of new trick I haven't figured out? :?:

Yes it can be opened. ;)
tinyrodent

Postby tinyrodent » October 20th, 2012, 11:09 am

I just had a game completely ruined because of accidentally pressing the shift-lock key. I went to 'a'pply something, and instead it went into 'A'utopilot mode (which I had never seen before). Before I knew what was going on, my +6 sword of speed was reduced to +2 by attacks on acid mounds. :evil:
tinyrodent

Postby Joshua Day » October 20th, 2012, 11:37 am

tinyrodent wrote:I just had a game completely ruined because of accidentally pressing the shift-lock key. I went to 'a'pply something, and instead it went into 'A'utopilot mode (which I had never seen before). Before I knew what was going on, my +6 sword of speed was reduced to +2 by attacks on acid mounds. :evil:

I could see a prompt before autopilot making sense.
Joshua Day

Postby Joshua Day » October 20th, 2012, 11:39 am

Patashu wrote:Regeneration is not considered a negatable property.

And yet, on bats, flitting is. An early character with the bad luck to negate a vampire bat is doomed.
Joshua Day

Postby morphles » October 20th, 2012, 1:15 pm

It seems there is this, lets call it, ugly behavior. If you are going on auto run and you get health warning message pressing esc, will hide message(as I think any key), BUT auto run will resume and that can be enough to kill you. I'm not 100% sure that this happens, but from several times it seems to be the case.
morphles

Postby fugori » October 20th, 2012, 6:31 pm

I'm certain this isn't new, but just because it's on my mind right now... if a turret is on a wall square that is the absolute border of the dungeon level, a staff of tunneling won't destroy it like it normally would.
fugori

Postby Joshua Day » October 20th, 2012, 6:47 pm

fugori wrote:I'm certain this isn't new, but just because it's on my mind right now... if a turret is on a wall square that is the absolute border of the dungeon level, a staff of tunneling won't destroy it like it normally would.

And because this messes with players who won't expect it, quite possibly ruining good runs, it's actually a really big problem.
Joshua Day

Postby DalaranJ » October 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm

The intensity of darkness is now much stronger. It's impossible to even see the wall in front of your nose until 50% of the duration has elapsed. I was forced to shoot my staff of lightning randomly to see my way around.

Edit: I was on depth 10/11 at the time.
Last edited by DalaranJ on October 21st, 2012, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DalaranJ

Postby Pender » October 21st, 2012, 1:30 pm

DalaranJ wrote:The intensity of darkness is now much stronger. It's impossible to even see the wall in front of your nose until 50% of the duration has elapsed. I was forced to shoot my staff of lightning randomly to see my way around.

I don't think this has changed, actually. Deeper dungeon levels are naturally darker, so the status effect is more debilitating the deeper you are.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby DalaranJ » October 21st, 2012, 1:32 pm

I edited while you were posting when I suddenly realized the depth mattered.
DalaranJ

Postby Joshua Day » October 21st, 2012, 11:22 pm

morphles wrote:It seems there is this, lets call it, ugly behavior. If you are going on auto run and you get health warning message pressing esc, will hide message(as I think any key), BUT auto run will resume and that can be enough to kill you. I'm not 100% sure that this happens, but from several times it seems to be the case.

This wasn't a problem in 1.6.4, so I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're right that it came back. I'll figure it out.
Joshua Day

Postby enderale » October 22nd, 2012, 4:17 am

Just after some confirmation on whether or not this vault can be opened. Depth 2 NW corner seed #1350896587
enderale

Postby thedrin » October 22nd, 2012, 5:23 am

enderale wrote:Just after some confirmation on whether or not this vault can be opened. Depth 2 NW corner seed #1350896587

It can be opened.
thedrin

Postby enderale » October 23rd, 2012, 5:47 am

Thank you kind sir for your prompt reply. Now I have to resist replaying the seed and wait to find another one and figure it out.
enderale

Postby sorta-stupid » October 24th, 2012, 11:13 pm

At high levels, protection is, uh, a little glitched. It doesn't wear off in 20 turns; it's possible with a level 10 or so charm to have it recharge before it wears off, allowing you to build up shielding until the variable player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] overflows the short type (I managed to starve to death due to my terrible damage output, and didn't get a recording out of frustration. But, it seemed to be around 3,200 hp, which is consistent with how the shielding variable appears to be stored as actual hp times 10).

Yeah, also player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED] isn't reset to 0 if shielding just expires, as far as I can tell. The only time it appears to be reset is when shielding expires due to damage, in combat.c. I think the fix to both would be to change the code in movement.c
Code: Select all
if (player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED]) {
      player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - 10);
   }

to something like
      player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED]/20);
                if(!player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED])
                    player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED] = 0;
   }

Edit: Of course, I am also happy to run around with 3,200 spare HP in the bank :)

Double edit: Better fix:
if (player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED])
   player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - max(1,player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED]/20));

Last edited by sorta-stupid on October 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorta-stupid

Postby ggoDeye » October 25th, 2012, 8:42 am

sorta-stupid wrote:At high levels, protection is, uh, a little glitched. It doesn't wear off in 20 turns; it's possible with a level 10 or so charm to have it recharge before it wears off, allowing you to build up shielding until the variable player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] overflows the short type (I managed to starve to death due to my terrible damage output, and didn't get a recording out of frustration. But, it seemed to be around 3,200 hp, which is consistent with how the shielding variable appears to be stored as actual hp times 10).

Edit: Of course, I am also happy to run around with 3,200 spare HP in the bank :)

Well, I know what I'm doing today. Thanks.
ggoDeye

Postby thedrin » October 25th, 2012, 8:28 pm

sorta-stupid wrote:At high levels, protection is, uh, a little glitched. It doesn't wear off in 20 turns; it's possible with a level 10 or so charm to have it recharge before it wears off, allowing you to build up shielding until the variable player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] overflows the short type (I managed to starve to death due to my terrible damage output, and didn't get a recording out of frustration. But, it seemed to be around 3,200 hp, which is consistent with how the shielding variable appears to be stored as actual hp times 10).

Yeah, also player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED] isn't reset to 0 if shielding just expires, as far as I can tell. The only time it appears to be reset is when shielding expires due to damage, in combat.c. I think the fix to both would be to change the code in movement.c
      player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - 10);
   }

to something like
      player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED]/20);
   }

Double edit: Better fix:
if (player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED])
   player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] = max(0, player.status[STATUS_SHIELDED] - max(1,player.maxStatus[STATUS_SHIELDED]/20));

I think I just got killed by by my highly enchanted charm of protection. It was a +10 charm, capable of absorbing 220+ points of damage. Every time the charm recharged only a small percentage of the shield had degraded. I was probably on level 18 but maybe 19. There was nothing threatening or conceivably threatening that I could face - even revenants despite my lack of any means of killing them - so I wasn't paying much attention to how deep I was. I'd apply the charm. Hit auto explore. Auto explore auto stops everytime a charm recharges so I'd be repeatedly applying it whenever I could. The only significant dangers were dar priestess and pixies who could negate the shield but I hadn't seen any in a while. I was in a corridor with a flame turret, merrily bashing away at it while my head was on fire, when I suddenly and unexpectedly died. I had applied the shield multiple times since I had last been negated. Before I engaged the turret I was at full health and my shield was still active. Suddenly less than 4 turns (or 8 since I was using a mace) after I began attacking it my health was at zero. There were no 40%, 25%, 10%, 5% health warnings.
thedrin

Postby Pender » October 26th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the bug reports. Looks like a mostly-bug-fixes 1.7.1 will be necessary.

Goratrix wrote:The dart stacking bug (described in the release thread) is pretty nasty

Sure is, will fix.

psly4mne wrote:Going up the stairs from level N+1 to level N also reveals the other staircase on level N on the map, even if I've never seen it. Minor bug, but I've used it to find the stairs back if I fall through a hole.

Charms start out identified, but they're still considered valid targets for scrolls of identify. They should probably not be.

Thanks, will fix both. The staircase issue may even be a cause of some out of sync errors, so I'm glad you spotted that.

Joshua Day wrote:
fugori wrote:I'm certain this isn't new, but just because it's on my mind right now... if a turret is on a wall square that is the absolute border of the dungeon level, a staff of tunneling won't destroy it like it normally would.

And because this messes with players who won't expect it, quite possibly ruining good runs, it's actually a really big problem.

I'm not as concerned about this. I think everyone agrees that the staff of tunneling is a very good item, not least because it can destroy turrets -- and no one seems to be arguing that it's underpowered on the whole. A few turrets can't be destroyed like that, just like a few monsters can't be killed by fire, one can't be harmed by physical weapons, one is very hard to kill with staff bolts, etc. Maybe the animation isn't explanatory enough when a tunneling bolt fails to destroy a border turret, though -- the bolt might reflect off of border tiles like a firebolt deflecting off of a golem, for example.

sorta-stupid wrote:At high levels, protection is, uh, a little glitched.

Wow, it certainly is! Thank you for pointing this out. I'll fix the maxStatus issue like you suggested, but rather than lengthening the recharge time to beyond the number of turns the shield lasts, the effect won't stack -- i.e. it will refresh your existing protection rather than add to it.

I wonder if you guys think this one justifies a house rule during the weekend contests until it's fixed...

thedrin wrote:I think I just got killed by by my highly enchanted charm of protection. It was a +10 charm, capable of absorbing 220+ points of damage... I'd apply the charm. Hit auto explore. Auto explore auto stops everytime a charm recharges so I'd be repeatedly applying it whenever I could.

Yeah, I'm not surprised this behavior killed you. Live by the glitch, die by the glitch... :)
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Autoquark » October 27th, 2012, 10:38 am

Pender wrote:
Joshua Day wrote:

I'm not as concerned about this. I think everyone agrees that the staff of tunneling is a very good item, not least because it can destroy turrets -- and no one seems to be arguing that it's underpowered on the whole. A few turrets can't be destroyed like that, just like a few monsters can't be killed by fire, one can't be harmed by physical weapons, one is very hard to kill with staff bolts, etc. Maybe the animation isn't explanatory enough when a tunneling bolt fails to destroy a border turret, though -- the bolt might reflect off of border tiles like a firebolt deflecting off of a golem, for example.

Surely this isn't about balancing the power of staves of tunnelling, it's about not surprising people with completely unexpected behaviour. Monsters which are immune to fire are labelled as such, and they are separate classes of monster. Having some turrets immune to tunnelling because they're at the edge of the map seems rather arbitrary - it feels like a bug, even if it's intentional, and as Joshua Day said, it could spoil your run in a way that feels really unfair.
Autoquark

Postby ds_creamer » October 27th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Autoquark wrote:
Pender wrote:
Joshua Day wrote:

Surely this isn't about balancing the power of staves of tunnelling, it's about not surprising people with completely unexpected behaviour. Monsters which are immune to fire are labelled as such, and they are separate classes of monster. Having some turrets immune to tunnelling because they're at the edge of the map seems rather arbitrary - it feels like a bug, even if it's intentional, and as Joshua Day said, it could spoil your run in a way that feels really unfair.

I agree with Autoquark here. Because there was no message when it happened to me, I assumed that I had missed, and tried again.
ds_creamer

Postby fugori » October 27th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Agreeing with the crowd on this one.

Tunneling is definitely a good staff, regardless. It's as everyone else is saying - the problem is this behavior isn't consistent with Brogue's tendency towards transparency. You already know that salamanders are immune to fire, that revenants are immune to weapons, etc. because the description says so. I don't mind if tunneling can't destroy the turrets, I just think we need a way to know ahead of time so we aren't burned by it.
fugori

Postby thedrin » October 29th, 2012, 9:52 am

Every rat trap that I've seen (rats in the walls or it's a rat trap baby?) has the paralysis vent close enough to the key that the player is paralysed as soon as the key is reached. I assume that's how its meant to work. This is really minor, but in seed 1351523379 on level 1 the paralysis vent is quite far from the key.
thedrin

Postby element42 » October 29th, 2012, 3:14 pm

seed 1351542056, on depth 2, there's some gold that looks like a wall. Or a wall that thinks it's some gold. EDIT: found it. Couldn't pick it up.
Last edited by element42 on October 30th, 2012, 11:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
element42

Postby tinyrodent » October 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Using that seed produces a different map entirely for me on 1.7.
tinyrodent

Postby Patashu » October 29th, 2012, 4:08 pm

element42 wrote:seed 131542056, there's some gold that looks like a wall. Or a wall that thinks it's some gold. I wasted a bit of nutrition trying to find out exactly where it was but quickly got bored!

Was this played in brogue seed scummer?
Patashu

Postby imp_rover » October 30th, 2012, 1:25 am

It's possible to break into reward rooms on diagonals with tunneling/shattering and blinking, so if one has a renewable source for each, getting the keys isn't necessary.
imp_rover

Postby morphles » October 30th, 2012, 1:42 am

imp_rower that is not true, there are just some rooms that are intended to be dug out, others are resistant to tunneling/shattering as intended. At least as far as I can see. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure :)
morphles

Postby pdw » October 30th, 2012, 1:47 am

In seed #1351540609 on depth 8, there's a weird vault that can't be entered (as far as I can tell):

pdw

Postby Patashu » October 30th, 2012, 2:35 am

pdw wrote:In seed #1351540609 on depth 8, there's a weird vault that can't be entered (as far as I can tell):

Doesn't solve the problem but - is the wall to the S or W of you tunnelable?
Patashu

Postby element42 » October 30th, 2012, 3:02 am

tinyrodent wrote:Using that seed produces a different map entirely for me on 1.7.
Sorry, typed in the seed wrong: should be 1351542056. Future ref: press ~ before screencap.

patashu wrote:Was this played in brogue seed scummer?
no.
element42

Postby tinyrodent » October 30th, 2012, 9:04 am

element42 wrote:
tinyrodent wrote:Using that seed produces a different map entirely for me on 1.7.
Sorry, typed in the seed wrong: should be 1351542056. Future ref: press ~ before screencap.

I tried again but it still doesn't look anything like yours.
tinyrodent

Postby element42 » October 30th, 2012, 11:23 am

tinyrodent wrote:
element42 wrote:

I tried again but it still doesn't look anything like yours.

Well, that's another bug! I replayed the seed and took another screenshot with the seed displayed, which I've put in the original post. I'm on OS X, can anyone else check to see what d2 looks like in that seed?
element42

Postby imp_rover » October 30th, 2012, 11:57 am

The weakness status is still a bit buggy: monster accuracy increases from weakness (it should decrease), and the amount of hits required to kill the player is reported incorrectly when viewing weakened monsters.
imp_rover

Postby boa13 » October 30th, 2012, 1:20 pm

element42 wrote:Well, that's another bug! I replayed the seed and took another screenshot with the seed displayed, which I've put in the original post. I'm on OS X, can anyone else check to see what d2 looks like in that seed?

Here's how it looks under Windows XP 32-bits, same as yours basically, with gold in the wall too:

Note that I descended to level 2 as soon as I spotted the stairs, I barely explored level 1.
boa13

Postby Sas » October 30th, 2012, 1:29 pm

boa13 wrote:
element42 wrote:Well, that's another bug! I replayed the seed and took another screenshot with the seed displayed, which I've put in the original post. I'm on OS X, can anyone else check to see what d2 looks like in that seed?

Here's how it looks under Windows XP 32-bits, same as yours basically, with gold in the wall too:

Note that I descended to level 2 as soon as I spotted the stairs, I barely explored level 1.

Same in Windows7-64
Sas

Postby tinyrodent » October 30th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Sorry I must have mistyped the number, same result here on WinXP-32.

EDIT: I've complained before about overzealous key-repeat in the game, and I've noticed it can show up while typing in a seed as well. This happens to me only in Brogue, not other applications. I just type a seed normally but some of the digits might get repeated, even several times. I would really like a way to disable key repeat altogether.

Related suggestion: allow Ctrl+V to paste a seed from the clipboard.
tinyrodent

Postby element42 » October 30th, 2012, 2:31 pm

tinyrodent wrote:Related suggestion: allow Ctrl+V to paste a seed from the clipboard.

seconded
element42

Postby Pender » October 30th, 2012, 11:06 pm

pdw wrote:In seed #1351540609 on depth 8, there's a weird vault that can't be entered (as far as I can tell):

Thanks. Interesting specimen! Will fix.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby dangerdonkey » October 31st, 2012, 1:07 pm

I'm loving 1.7 so far, thanks Pender! One annoying bug:

Charms come fully identified, but when you read a scroll of ID, they are suggested as a possible item to identify. Obviously choosing to ID a charm does nothing but waste your scroll.
dangerdonkey

Postby FrannyMac » October 31st, 2012, 2:56 pm

in seed 1351707438 noticed two issues.

1. a cause fear fleeing monkey ally won't come back to be your friend - other allies do though? is this just monkey behaviour?

2. on level 12, in the middle of flaming zombie gas and steam, having scared off the zombies, I decided the easiest way out of the mess was to use a descent potion. This put out the fire on the player, but left a fire in the corner where the player had been standing,the graphics still showed burning gas all around, but none of the ground vanished! Moved onto some of those flaming gas squares - didn't catch fire, but didn't fall down either.
try to move off one way - forgot about the spark turret, so moved back into the steam -- tried to replace the steam by encasing in crystal from a staff of obstruction and died from a cloud of scalding steam.
I took a screen shot, not sure how repeatable this is....
questions: why didn't the floor vanish? why didn't the burning gas set the player alight? why doesn't crystal replace steam?
Last edited by FrannyMac on October 31st, 2012, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrannyMac

Postby fugori » October 31st, 2012, 3:02 pm

FrannyMac wrote:in seed 1351707438 noticed two issues.

1. a cause fear fleeing monkey ally won't come back to be your friend - other allies do though? is this just monkey behaviour?

This happens like 50/50 for all allies.
fugori

Postby FrannyMac » October 31st, 2012, 3:11 pm

cool - thanks - I had noticed it a few times with monkeys ....but I am pretty awful at keeping allies alive, so probably hadn't had a chance to notice it with any others.

any thoughts on the non-vanishing floor? it was in the corner of a room with a bit of shallow water around, but obscured by the flaming zombie gas!
FrannyMac

Postby fugori » October 31st, 2012, 3:17 pm

FrannyMac wrote:cool - thanks - I had noticed it a few times with monkeys ....but I am pretty awful at keeping allies alive, so probably hadn't had a chance to notice it with any others.

any thoughts on the non-vanishing floor? it was in the corner of a room with a bit of shallow water around, but obscured by the flaming zombie gas!

I think that's a bug from 1.6.4, too.

1-6-4-bugs-etc-t387.html#p4663
Creaphis wrote:Right now, potions of descent don't create chasm tiles if those tiles are already burning. I think it would be better if descent overruled fire so that you could use it to escape from burning bogs.
fugori

Postby fugori » October 31st, 2012, 3:18 pm

That one's never happened to me, but man that looks rough.
fugori

Postby FrannyMac » October 31st, 2012, 4:22 pm

thanks lads -- so when moving onto the flaming gas tiles, the water underneath the flaming gas was putting out the fires?

any thoughts on crystal encasement being steamed? I would expect crystal to beat steam!

we could set up a new rock - paper - scissors here:

burning gas beats descent, descent removes water, water puts out fire, fire burns up gas?
FrannyMac

Postby Personman » October 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm

There's a possible level generation bug visible in seed 1351741656, as seen below: Image

There was no scroll of shattering on this level, which I had thought was a requirement for the no-door treasure rooms. Additionally, the statue that should have let me see into the room was generated behind a wall, leaving me entirely in the dark as to where the key to the visible door might be, or how to get it.
Personman

Postby Pender » November 1st, 2012, 1:05 am

Personman wrote:There's a possible level generation bug visible in seed 1351741656, as seen below: Image

There was no scroll of shattering on this level, which I had thought was a requirement for the no-door treasure rooms. Additionally, the statue that should have let me see into the room was generated behind a wall, leaving me entirely in the dark as to where the key to the visible door might be, or how to get it.

The lever that opens the room is visible in that screenshot -- it's in the wall three spaces to the left of the topmost paralysis vent.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » November 1st, 2012, 1:12 am

fugori wrote:
FrannyMac wrote:cool - thanks - I had noticed it a few times with monkeys ....but I am pretty awful at keeping allies alive, so probably hadn't had a chance to notice it with any others.

I think that's a bug from 1.6.4, too.

1-6-4-bugs-etc-t387.html#p4663
Creaphis wrote:Right now, potions of descent don't create chasm tiles if those tiles are already burning. I think it would be better if descent overruled fire so that you could use it to escape from burning bogs.

Yes, I guess this is a bug. I'll boost the priority of descent hole terrain so that it overrides fire.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby boa13 » November 1st, 2012, 2:24 am

By the way, have you seen the "101 gold pieces in the wall" report above? (Seed 1351542056.) Bug or not? :)
boa13

Postby Sas » November 1st, 2012, 8:42 am

About IDing items.
When I have the last un-ID scroll in my pack the game doesn't automatically ID it, but if I use another scroll, the un-ID'd scroll would identify itself.
It doesn't really matter but I think when you can deduce by elimination which scroll/potion etc is in your pack the game should ID it for you.
For example, you quaffed detect magic and you have an un-ID'd bad scroll, you already read the other one, no reason this one won't ID itself.

Second thing, some wands don't identify properly, for example, I used a soft-ID (only detect magic) good wand at a monster and the monster disappeared, it was obviously teleportation but the game kept it un-ID'd.
I just now used an un-ID wand on a salamander that was standing in lava in hopes that it's negation.
It got the message "The Salamander is consumed by lava instantly" which to me means it's negation. But the game didn't ID it.
Sas

Postby Karuku » November 1st, 2012, 11:32 am

Sas wrote:About IDing items.
When I have the last un-ID scroll in my pack the game doesn't automatically ID it, but if I use another scroll, the un-ID'd scroll would identify itself.
It doesn't really matter but I think when you can deduce by elimination which scroll/potion etc is in your pack the game should ID it for you.
For example, you quaffed detect magic and you have an un-ID'd bad scroll, you already read the other one, no reason this one won't ID itself.

Second thing, some wands don't identify properly, for example, I used a soft-ID (only detect magic) good wand at a monster and the monster disappeared, it was obviously teleportation but the game kept it un-ID'd.
I just now used an un-ID wand on a salamander that was standing in lava in hopes that it's negation.
It got the message "The Salamander is consumed by lava instantly" which to me means it's negation. But the game didn't ID it.

While you've got a good point, I've avoided this problem by just (c)alling an item something, and letting it call all future items by that same name. Until this is changed (If indeed it ever is) I'd suggest (c)alling the crap out of everything that you have any reason to. Armor/weapons that have been negated, for example, I always name 'Uncursed'.
Karuku

Postby Sas » November 1st, 2012, 12:13 pm

Karuku wrote:
Sas wrote:About IDing items.

While you've got a good point, I've avoided this problem by just (c)alling an item something, and letting it call all future items by that same name. Until this is changed (If indeed it ever is) I'd suggest (c)alling the crap out of everything that you have any reason to. Armor/weapons that have been negated, for example, I always name 'Uncursed'.

I've started doing this recently as well, but I think what I describe is a bug because it's not very consistent.
The intended behaviour is probably what I encountered on my run today, I read an un-ID scroll of negation and it ID'd itself in the discovered items menu and also the other un-ID scroll that remained, protect armour. I never encountered a scroll of protect armour in this run.
Sas

Postby ggoDeye » November 1st, 2012, 3:16 pm

Someone pointed out (not sure whom or in what thread) that you can gain access to vaults with a staff of blinking and tunnelling. I can verify that the corners on at least some vaults that require keys can be tunneled away and then blinked into.
ggoDeye

Postby tinyrodent » November 1st, 2012, 3:26 pm

ggoDeye wrote:Someone pointed out (not sure whom or in what thread) that you can gain access to vaults with a staff of blinking and tunnelling. I can verify that the corners on at least some vaults that require keys can be tunneled away and then blinked into.

This might be a spoiler. :) But if you don't have tunneling... shatter works too. Good use for the charm of shattering. It's sometimes possible to take items from a series of nested vaults that would otherwise require taking a key instead.
tinyrodent

Postby ggoDeye » November 1st, 2012, 5:36 pm

tinyrodent wrote:This might be a spoiler. :) But if you don't have tunneling... shatter works too. Good use for the charm of shattering. It's sometimes possible to take items from a series of nested vaults that would otherwise require taking a key instead.

Nice!

Also, this trick has worked on 8 out of 8 vaults that I've tried it on.
ggoDeye

Postby Pender » November 1st, 2012, 8:46 pm

ggoDeye wrote:Someone pointed out (not sure whom or in what thread) that you can gain access to vaults with a staff of blinking and tunnelling. I can verify that the corners on at least some vaults that require keys can be tunneled away and then blinked into.

Yeah, I need to do something about this.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby ggoDeye » November 2nd, 2012, 11:04 am

It looks like I've broken the game somehow. All monsters are in a wandering state and only go into hunting when I attack them in melee and then only for a 1-2 turns before they go back to wandering. I will say that monsters are much easier to manage this way and this will be the easiest 26 lumenstone victory ever...

I have a firewall issue and can not upload the broguerec yet.

I've been screwing around on D25 for several thousand turns trying to collect items and this is the first time I've ever had every single square on a map fill with explosive gas. I was at ~34k turns when this started and it happens on every level I have checked (D27-D22). I have no ring of stealth nor have I been using any invisibility.
ggoDeye

Postby fugori » November 2nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but...

Just had a statue shatter on depth 31, seed #1351820512, and no monster popped out. It just shattered, nothing in it, end of story. Kinda weird.
fugori

Postby Pender » November 3rd, 2012, 1:03 am

fugori wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or not, but...

Just had a statue shatter on depth 31, seed #1351820512, and no monster popped out. It just shattered, nothing in it, end of story. Kinda weird.

Hmm, yeah, it turns out there are no monster hordes eligible for bursting out of a statue that are allowed to appear on depths below 30 -- so you get empty statues. I'll fix that by letting dragons and tentacle horrors appear in statues from depths 29 on down.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Patashu » November 3rd, 2012, 1:48 am

Pender wrote:

Hmm, yeah, it turns out there are no monster hordes eligible for bursting out of a statue that are allowed to appear on depths below 30 -- so you get empty statues. I'll fix that by letting dragons and tentacle horrors appear in statues from depths 29 on down.

For irony, you could have golems burst out
Patashu

Postby fugori » November 3rd, 2012, 9:47 am

Pender wrote:

Haha great, more dragons. I like Patashu's suggestion of more golems, too, though there are already dozens by then.
fugori

Postby Sas » November 4th, 2012, 9:13 am

There is a bug using call where if you use all 29 characters and then press a key again the suffix (") is displayed twice. If you then delete some letters the second " remains.
The bug is in IO.c, function: getInputTextString, line 2294 where if charNum is already maxLength then the next keystroke and the suffix will be printed to produce a 30 letters strings plust suffix.
But, since charNum will not advance and since immediately afterwards the suffix will be printed again the new keystroke will be overwritten by the suffix and it will produce two suffixes.
When erasing letters, the game won't erase the second suffix from the display because charNum didn't advance with the location of the latest suffix.
This can be fixed by removing line 2294 altogether.
This line and 2285 are made unnecessary by line 2281 where the suffix is printed at the correct location anyway.
Sas

Postby Sas » November 5th, 2012, 9:23 am

Bug Or feature?

I think the game tried to come up with an explanation as to how come there are so many of them and it made one of them female.
They're all from a wand of plenty, in case that's not obvious.
Sas

Postby pdw » November 6th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I encountered (what would turn out to be) a rat trap. But before taking the key I read a scroll of shattering. This destroyed most of the walls, but afterwards I could still sense the no-longer-existing rats using telepathy.
pdw

Postby Sas » November 8th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Is it really necessary to allow Dragons to learn casting firebolt?
Sas

Postby DalaranJ » November 8th, 2012, 11:49 pm

seed 1352436300 depth 6

This door guardian vault doesn't trigger identification on staff pickup.

Edit: Just learned that entrancement confuses you.
DalaranJ

Postby Sas » November 10th, 2012, 5:30 am

Enemy will cross water when fleeing but won't when surrounded by purple gas.
My monkey just killed a bloat in an adjacent room, ran to the room I was in and some gas entered the room with it through the door.
It got as close to me as it could, we were separated by deep water and the monkey was still standing in gas, once it got next to the deep water it turned around and returned to the room the bloat died in and died.
Sas

Postby fugori » November 12th, 2012, 9:57 am

imp_rover wrote:The weakness status is still a bit buggy: monster accuracy increases from weakness (it should decrease), and the amount of hits required to kill the player is reported incorrectly when viewing weakened monsters.

Another report for this one - though I think it's just a display issue. I'm not getting hit more often or harder when it comes to weakened enemies, it's just falsely reporting that they will hit more frequently and for higher % of my health. I had weakened an ogre down to -7 or so and it was showing 100% chance to hit for all my health, on average killing me in 0 hits.
fugori

Postby Sas » November 13th, 2012, 10:08 am

Ring negation seems broken.
I think it was already discussed that negating a ring messes up with the auto-id counter but I couldn't find it here.
I just negated a soft-id'd negative ring and it became a +0 un-id'd ring with an identify counter of 1020 (I think it had a counter of 1500 before, but I'm not 100% on that).
Wearing the ring won't decrement the counter.
Identifying the ring will result in the following:
I still get a counter of 1020 turns which doesn't decrement.
Enchanting the ring to +1 result in the normal ring of stealth info screen.
So basically the broken bit seems to be that the game doesn't realize that we still want to wear identify the ring even though it's +0.
Sas

Postby AMP » November 13th, 2012, 11:15 am

Not sure if this is WAI, but I believe it shouldn't be. summoned blades won't enter Paralysis gas, I believe they aren't affected by it so not entering doesn't seem right. I've not checked other types of gas
AMP

Postby Patashu » November 13th, 2012, 4:20 pm

AMP wrote:Not sure if this is WAI, but I believe it shouldn't be. summoned blades won't enter Paralysis gas, I believe they aren't affected by it so not entering doesn't seem right. I've not checked other types of gas

It's unusual but WAI, as without that conjuration + paralysis would be too strong
Patashu

Postby Joshua Day » November 13th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Patashu wrote:
AMP wrote:Not sure if this is WAI, but I believe it shouldn't be. summoned blades won't enter Paralysis gas, I believe they aren't affected by it so not entering doesn't seem right. I've not checked other types of gas

It's unusual but WAI, as without that conjuration + paralysis would be too strong

My preferred fix is for creatures in paralytic gas to get a turn the turn after they're hit, no matter what hits them.
Joshua Day

Postby sorta-stupid » November 13th, 2012, 6:19 pm

I found this one a little while ago and just repeated it --
Seed 1352363054, there is a vault on depth 6 in which the staff doesn't display charges while on pedestal, nor does it auto-ID on pick up. Just a minor thing, but I'm not sure what causes it. SS after pickup here
sorta-stupid

Postby Pender » November 14th, 2012, 3:52 pm

sorta-stupid wrote:I found this one a little while ago and just repeated it --
Seed 1352363054, there is a vault on depth 6 in which the staff doesn't display charges while on pedestal, nor does it auto-ID on pick up. Just a minor thing, but I'm not sure what causes it. SS after pickup here

thanks, I know what causes this -- will fix.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Sas » November 15th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Weird bug with trap not displayed.

The trap is supposedly to my east, hovering over it just says swamp gas, nothing about a trap.
Sas

Postby Pender » November 15th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Sas wrote:Weird bug with trap not displayed. The trap is supposedly to my east, hovering over it just says swamp gas, nothing about a trap.

I need a seed number to track down level generation issues.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Sas » November 15th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Pender wrote:
Sas wrote:Weird bug with trap not displayed. The trap is supposedly to my east, hovering over it just says swamp gas, nothing about a trap.

I need a seed number to track down level generation issues.

I thought about that after having taken the image and forgot by the time I was posting.
The seed is 11479063.
Sas

Postby tinyrodent » November 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Sas wrote:Weird bug with trap not displayed.

I've seen this many times, assumed that grass grew over it or something like that.
tinyrodent

Postby Sas » November 16th, 2012, 3:02 am

In replay using omniscience while wearing an armour that wasn't ID'd at the time, the AC reported is with a question mark and not the actual AC.
Sas

Postby Creaphis » November 16th, 2012, 9:23 pm

You can identify weapons killing spectral blades. That seems too easy somehow.
Creaphis

Postby tinyrodent » November 16th, 2012, 9:28 pm

Creaphis wrote:You can identify weapons killing spectral blades. That seems too easy somehow.

Jellies too.
tinyrodent

Postby boa13 » November 17th, 2012, 2:33 am

tinyrodent wrote:Jellies too.

Jellies should only give you one kill for the whole initial jelly (when you split a jelly, only one half will carry the "counts as weapon-kill" bit). Are you sure you saw the weapon counter increase several times for a single initial jelly?
boa13

Postby Sas » November 17th, 2012, 2:37 am

Yeah, it should only count monsters that spawned naturally, not summons.
Maybe it was changed since 1.6.4 though.
Sas

Postby Karuku » November 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I also was under the impression that all of the Jellies a single Jelly spawns count as a single entity. I'd never noticed weapons IDing against one regularly (Which one would do if they just fought one or two Jellies, tops). IIRC, for experience purposes, in 1.6.4, all of a Jellies' spawns would only grant experience upon termination of the last Jelly.
Karuku

Postby Sas » November 17th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Karuku wrote:I also was under the impression that all of the Jellies a single Jelly spawns count as a single entity. I'd never noticed weapons IDing against one regularly (Which one would do if they just fought one or two Jellies, tops). IIRC, for experience purposes, in 1.6.4, all of a Jellies' spawns would only grant experience upon termination of the last Jelly.

I think it wasn't the last but rather the "original" jelly, same difference though.
Sas

Postby Pender » November 17th, 2012, 2:59 pm

In the past, only monsters that gave experience counted toward weapon auto-ID, and cloned/summoned monsters did not give experience. Now, nothing gives experience, so everything gives auto-ID credit. I guess I'll replicate the previous behavior with a monster flag.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Sas » November 18th, 2012, 11:01 am

Is this the intended behaviour?
It's not game breaking but it's pretty annoying
I'm referring to the blade appearing in the corner of the room I'm in.
Sas

Postby Pender » November 19th, 2012, 1:27 am

Sas wrote:Is this the intended behaviour?

Yes, summons appear in the closest eligible spot without regard to pathing distance. I agree that appearing in the closest eligible spot by pathing distance would be better, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Sas » November 19th, 2012, 2:31 am

Pender wrote:
Sas wrote:Is this the intended behaviour?

Yes, summons appear in the closest eligible spot without regard to pathing distance. I agree that appearing in the closest eligible spot by pathing distance would be better, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Is there a distance limit? Or a number of blades spawned limit?
Sas

Postby Cybermg » November 19th, 2012, 3:31 am

Pender wrote:

I think it should be a kobold, as an odd sort of easter egg.
Cybermg

Postby enderale » November 19th, 2012, 12:39 pm

I keep on having this irregular behaviour where 90% of the time I can't call my items anythning, the option is simply not there. THis is especially annoying when I have soft ID'd a bad scroll and cannot call it so I am forced to remember the actual name of the scroll.
enderale

Postby sorta-stupid » November 19th, 2012, 5:50 pm

enderale wrote:I keep on having this irregular behaviour where 90% of the time I can't call my items anythning, the option is simply not there. THis is especially annoying when I have soft ID'd a bad scroll and cannot call it so I am forced to remember the actual name of the scroll.

Yes, I've noticed this weird behavior too, but for now here is the workaround: hit 'c' from *outside* the inventory screen.
sorta-stupid

Postby Pender » November 19th, 2012, 6:33 pm

sorta-stupid wrote:
enderale wrote:I keep on having this irregular behaviour where 90% of the time I can't call my items anythning, the option is simply not there. THis is especially annoying when I have soft ID'd a bad scroll and cannot call it so I am forced to remember the actual name of the scroll.

Yes, I've noticed this weird behavior too, but for now here is the workaround: hit 'c' from *outside* the inventory screen.

Sorry, I can't seem to reproduce this. Can you explain exactly when the problem occurs, or how to reliably make it occur?
Pender
Site Admin

Postby fugori » November 19th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Check out the message stream: I had a dar who intentionally dove into lava. // Edit: it wasn't confused or anything.
fugori

Postby Pender » November 19th, 2012, 8:14 pm

fugori wrote:Check out the message stream: I had a dar who intentionally dove into lava. // Edit: it wasn't confused or anything.

Based on the message stream, I surmise that you emerged from the lava while you were immune to fire onto the square that the dar ally was occupying, which caused him to swap places with you into the lava.

Needless to say, that's not ideal behavior, and I'm fixing it for 1.7.1.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby fugori » November 19th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Pender wrote:
fugori wrote:Check out the message stream: I had a dar who intentionally dove into lava. // Edit: it wasn't confused or anything.

Based on the message stream, I surmise that you emerged from the lava while you were immune to fire onto the square that the dar ally was occupying, which caused him to swap places with you into the lava.

Needless to say, that's not ideal behavior, and I'm fixing it for 1.7.1.

Ah, yeah, probably. I thought he had just gone crazy, but I was moving pretty quickly, and those blinkers are sneaky.
fugori

Postby ggoDeye » November 20th, 2012, 11:51 am

I've been hit and killed by allies several times now. At first I only saw it happening with jellies and thought that I was just not noticing enemy jellies and was too lazy to scrutinize the recordings.

Just now I was killed by an allied phantom while resting. Neither confusion nor discord was involved. I guess this is what I get for trying to have a lich as an ally...

Has anyone else had this happen?
ggoDeye

Postby Pender » November 20th, 2012, 12:30 pm

ggoDeye wrote:I've been hit and killed by allies several times now. At first I only saw it happening with jellies and thought that I was just not noticing enemy jellies and was too lazy to scrutinize the recordings.

Just now I was killed by an allied phantom while resting. Neither confusion nor discord was involved. I guess this is what I get for trying to have a lich as an ally...

No, this is the first I've heard of it. Can you double-check the recording to make sure a hostile invisible phantom wasn't involved and share it if not?
Pender
Site Admin

Postby ggoDeye » November 20th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Pender wrote:
ggoDeye wrote:I've been hit and killed by allies several times now. At first I only saw it happening with jellies and thought that I was just not noticing enemy jellies and was too lazy to scrutinize the recordings.

No, this is the first I've heard of it. Can you double-check the recording to make sure a hostile invisible phantom wasn't involved and share it if not?

I was on D5 and the text stated "Your phantom hits you." so it couldn't have been a naturally occuring phantom. Uploading the recording is a near impossibility due to firewall issues. I believe I have a similar recording on my laptop that I could upload later.

EDIT: The 3 times I've noticed this have all happened when just having come down stairs and I have had a lot of allies. First 2 times with 30+ black jellies, and this last time with a lich, 3 phantoms & 2 furies.
Last edited by ggoDeye on November 20th, 2012, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby sorta-stupid » November 20th, 2012, 2:48 pm

ggoDeye wrote:I was on D5 and the text stated "Your phantom hits you." so it couldn't have been a naturally occuring phantom. Uploading the recording is a near impossibility due to firewall issues. I believe I have a similar recording on my laptop that I could upload later.

It doesn't seem to be related to "flitting" behavior, as I tried getting a dominated vampire bat to hit me for several hundred turns with no luck. However, it wasn't a complete waste, as:
Pender wrote:Sorry, I can't seem to reproduce this. Can you explain exactly when the problem occurs, or how to reliably make it occur?

This screenshot, this other screenshot, and this saved game show the bug. Technically, I made the save in the scummer (looking for the domination wand to snag a bat), but it loads fine, though with the error still active, in regular Brogue. As noted above, you can still call items using 'c' outside the inventory screen. I don't know when the call error starts, but the first few items I looked at still had a call option. Hope this helps!
sorta-stupid

Postby fugori » November 21st, 2012, 10:49 pm

element42 wrote:seed 1351542056, on depth 2, there's some gold that looks like a wall. Or a wall that thinks it's some gold. EDIT: found it. Couldn't pick it up.

Just saw this as well! Seed #1353555404

fugori

Postby VictorGijsbers » November 22nd, 2012, 5:44 am

When using mouse movement (i.e., clicking somewhere on the map to go there), the player character will take paths that lead her over altars in vaults (i.e., the kind of altar where you get to choose on of several items in a room). This results in the player picking up an item she probably doesn't want. Movement automatically stops at this point, and you can drop the item, so no harm is done; but it can be irritating. It would be better if the auto-path excludes such squares.
VictorGijsbers

Postby Cybermg » November 22nd, 2012, 6:06 am

sorta-stupid wrote:At high levels, protection is, uh, a little glitched.

I just had a pretty hilarious run where I took advantage of this, and basically stopped paying attention after a while. I was wearing a heavily corroded splint mail of immolation, and had thousands of hp in the bank. I would basically just stand around in bogs while exploding and causing gas explosions around me, which would kill every enemy that attacked me. I took an axe and just waded through hoards of enemies, continually exploding along the way. I eventually died on D:27 when I noticed the 220 something health every 26 turns wasn't counteracting the damage done by two dragons. This was only a +10 charm - I dove through the dungeon mostly and didn't actually find many enchant scrolls.

I'd be interested to see how like a +14 or +15 protection charm performs when the bug is fixed!
Cybermg

Postby Sas » November 23rd, 2012, 10:50 am

In combat.c in hitProbability when calculating accuracy there's an overflow risk and accuracy becomes negative if netEnchant returns a value greater than 165.1
In which case, the hitProbability is zero and a ridiculously over enchanted (by cheating) weapon will always miss.
There's no reason accuracy will be negative, so if it's negative there's probably have been an overflow, but an overflow can also bring the value of accuracy between 0 and 100.
Sas

Postby Pender » November 24th, 2012, 1:29 am

Sas wrote:In combat.c in hitProbability when calculating accuracy there's an overflow risk and accuracy becomes negative if netEnchant returns a value greater than 165.1
In which case, the hitProbability is zero and a ridiculously over enchanted (by cheating) weapon will always miss.
There's no reason accuracy will be negative, so if it's negative there's probably have been an overflow, but an overflow can also bring the value of accuracy between 0 and 100.

In other words, if you cheat to get a glitchy enchantment value, you get glitchy results? Definitely not a bug.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Karuku » November 26th, 2012, 12:42 am

Negated Centaurs continue to report that they are shooting targets despite losing the ability to actually fire arrows--They attack within melee range, but still 'shoot' their targets.
Karuku

Postby Karuku » November 26th, 2012, 1:37 am

Not sure if WAI, but on seed 1353861985, on D:19, there are two vaults, the northern one holding two golems and the southern one holding one golem, and a...steam trap? There are four shackle squares, indicating a prisoner, but there's a steam vent instead.

In this same seed, I attempt to zap an unattempted, unidentified staff, and it's out of charges! To be honest, I'm new to posting files, still, so forgive the lengthy URL. Shortly before turn 17326 is when it happens. I saved the game so I could copy the file, and it subsequently went OOS--The first OOS error I've ever had, in fact. URL to savegame: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2ipeznheynzx ... broguesave

EDIT: Typo fixed. Sorry about that.
Karuku

Postby enderale » December 3rd, 2012, 10:18 am

When a creature is entranced and forced into deep water it is stuck and doesn't move. I have tried this multiple times in the same game and the creatures are all hunting. There are eels in the water that keep killing them (yay), but even when they aren't attacking they don't move, either towards me or towards or the nearest shore.

I will upload the recording if someone can tell me how.

EDIT: I am wearing a -3 ring of stealth if that would make any difference. Maybe they keep switching between hunting and wandering status, maybe not.
enderale

Postby Buzzkill » December 4th, 2012, 7:36 am

Not a bug, but a UI tweak. The first time you read an un-ID'd scroll of identify (or enchantment, etc) you get a message "This is a scroll of identify (more)", followed by "identify which item?" and are presented with your inventory to select from. I propose removing the first message once the scroll is known/identified, and going straight to "identify which item?" That "MORE" prompt always make me think I did something wrong/unexpected.

EDIT: Also, maybe a bit more buggy. I have a stack of one +0 javelins (ID'd by use) and also a stack of five +0 javelins (ID'd by use). They were found separately, but should these stack together?
Buzzkill

Postby morphles » December 4th, 2012, 9:29 am

Currently no, items found separately should not stack. Though I do not see the reason for that.

On implementation:
imho quiver number in code is quite useless. We must check if item properties match anyway, to prevent illogical stacking with degraded items from same quiver.
I believe its simpler to have something like item_has function that would calculate hash of the item and add item to the stack with matching hash (or maybe simple by value comparison is enough[I wonder why this was not done in the first place?]).
morphles

Postby ggoDeye » December 6th, 2012, 11:17 am

A jackal can only move 1 square in the same turn that it wakes up, but a wraith can move two squares or move one and attack in the same turn it wakes up.

I'm not sure if this is a bug so much as inconsistent behavior.

EDIT: Patashu was correct. This is not an issue.
Last edited by ggoDeye on December 10th, 2012, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby Patashu » December 6th, 2012, 3:09 pm

ggoDeye wrote:A jackal can only move 1 square in the same turn that it wakes up, but a wraith can move two squares or move one and attack in the same turn it wakes up.

I predict that the jackal woke up on its second attempt, and the wraith woke up on its first.
Patashu

Postby ggoDeye » December 6th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Patashu wrote:
ggoDeye wrote:A jackal can only move 1 square in the same turn that it wakes up, but a wraith can move two squares or move one and attack in the same turn it wakes up.

I predict that the jackal woke up on its second attempt, and the wraith woke up on its first.

I admit my sample size isn't huge and your explanation could certainly be the answer, but I've noticed 100% consistency to this pattern over 10-15 seperate interactions with each monster.

EDIT: Patashu was indeed correct.
Last edited by ggoDeye on December 21st, 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby fugori » December 9th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Strange vault with a staff that doesn't identify on pickup.

Seed #1355091293
fugori

Postby Goratrix » December 18th, 2012, 2:31 pm

A slightly dysfunctional trap:

The poor mirrored totem was generated out of sight of the glyphs, nothing he could do to prevent me taking the key :lol:
Goratrix

Postby BirdoPrey » December 18th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Goratrix wrote:A slightly dysfunctional trap:
The poor mirrored totem was generated out of sight of the glyphs, nothing he could do to prevent me taking the key :lol:

This happened to me the very first time I came upon this mechanism. I had no idea what it was supposed to do and was paranoid for the rest of that floor
BirdoPrey

Postby ggoDeye » December 21st, 2012, 1:10 pm

I've now died to my own allies about 5 times and it only happens when allies are coming down a set of stairs.
ggoDeye

Postby Goratrix » December 25th, 2012, 11:28 am

Not sure if this is a bug... when I'm in a corridor next to a room and I see inside that room with a ring of clairvoyance, and there is a goblin conjurer in the room, his spectrals appear instantly around to me in the corridor. That should not be possible, just because I see the conjurer, doesn't mean that he can see me, right?

EDIT: oh, I see it's been mentioned already in this thread...
Goratrix

Postby Sas » December 30th, 2012, 7:50 am

Some kind of bug with caustic gas from a bloat staying in a single tile forever (?). it didn't dissipate for a long time, I set fire to it twice and it's still there.
seed #1356855302
recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dmahf6k8e2az ... .broguerec
It starts at 21k turns.
It turns out the gas does vanish at around 21.3k, but it doesn't go out after being burned.
I just realized that I used the reassign function during play so this won't load on the regular brogue.
Sas

Postby Goratrix » December 31st, 2012, 4:14 pm

I just saw a wild (not ally) monkey attack an eel by itself, is this normal behavior? The monkey ran away from me, the stolen item floated away, and then the monkey just stayed in that corner for quite some time when it suddenly attacked the eel and later got killed by it.

Goratrix

Postby Sas » December 31st, 2012, 6:05 pm

Funny, I also saw something similar today (yesterday, technically). A goblin conjurer was fleeing towards deep water and I heard fighting sounds until it died.
Sas

Postby fugori » December 31st, 2012, 6:21 pm

Yeah, that's normal - eels (and kraken) will attack anything that ventures into their deep water territory, I think. I wish it could be used more often (I still have never been able to entrance a monster into kraken-infested water, though I've always wanted to).
fugori

Postby tinyrodent » January 1st, 2013, 11:50 pm

A centaur ally won't shoot at a golem enemy.
tinyrodent

Postby Sas » January 3rd, 2013, 6:00 am

Hilarious broken rat trap.
The vent is no where near the key.

Sas

Postby Sas » January 3rd, 2013, 7:15 am

This is not a new bug but it's probably unintended behaviour.
If you pick up a stackable item such as a potion or a scroll and you have a magically detected item of the same kind in your pack the magic detected status will be added to the other item, allowing you to locate it on the map when stolen.
Sas

Postby tinyrodent » January 3rd, 2013, 1:27 pm

More of a feature request than a bug; and perhaps mentioned already. But please make it so that pathing does not automatically travel over hazards while immune. For example just now I was levitating from identifying potions, pressed '<' to travel back to the stairs, then got warning "better head back to solid ground". At this point I was in the middle of a lava field with just 1 or 2 turns of levitation remaining. Fortunately I had a charm of teleportation...
tinyrodent

Postby ggoDeye » January 3rd, 2013, 2:06 pm

tinyrodent wrote:More of a feature request than a bug; and perhaps mentioned already. But please make it so that pathing does not automatically travel over hazards while immune. For example just now I was levitating from identifying potions, pressed '<' to travel back to the stairs, then got warning "better head back to solid ground". At this point I was in the middle of a lava field with just 1 or 2 turns of levitation remaining. Fortunately I had a charm of teleportation...

My experience with this is that the game gives you that warning when you have exactly as many turns of the effect left as needed to get back to safety.
ggoDeye

Postby Autoquark » January 3rd, 2013, 5:57 pm

ggoDeye wrote:
tinyrodent wrote:More of a feature request than a bug; and perhaps mentioned already. But please make it so that pathing does not automatically travel over hazards while immune. For example just now I was levitating from identifying potions, pressed '<' to travel back to the stairs, then got warning "better head back to solid ground". At this point I was in the middle of a lava field with just 1 or 2 turns of levitation remaining. Fortunately I had a charm of teleportation...

My experience with this is that the game gives you that warning when you have exactly as many turns of the effect left as needed to get back to safety.

It should do, yes. However, this is still a bit of an issue, because on higher levels most players don't want to risk levitating over lava for fear of a negation-caster coming along. Perhaps holding control whilst clicking should force the game to path as if you weren't levitating/fire immune, for those feeling paranoid.
Autoquark

Postby tinyrodent » January 3rd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Well I would argue that the game should always find the path of least risk rather than being "smart" about fire immunity or levitation. If a player wants to take those risks it should be deliberate. For that matter I would prefer the auto-path to avoid shallow water and bog squares where possible as well.
tinyrodent

Postby Buzzkill » January 3rd, 2013, 7:36 pm

Can something be done about all my fairly ordinary allies uselessly trying to attack a revenant until he kills all of them. They should exhibit "bloat fear" when in the presence of a revenant which they can't damage.
Buzzkill

Postby Creaphis » January 5th, 2013, 2:25 pm

I'd like to see more consistency with what can trigger underwater traps. Items drifting around in water don't trigger pressure plates that they move over, even if they end up resting on the trap when/if the water dries up. However, the player and other monsters trigger the trap every time they move over the trigger even in deep water. I think that it would make more intuitive sense if the player and land-based monsters didn't trigger traps in deep water, and if swimming monsters didn't even trigger traps in shallow water. (I just had an eel swim onto a shallow water fire trap in a fire trap maze room causing all kinds of unpredictable chaos.)

EDIT: Allies still teleport to ridiculous places when descending/ascending to a level where the stairs are surrounded by shallow water or bog tiles.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the increased listed accuracy of weakened monsters isn't just a display bug - in my experience they become more accurate as weakness increases
Creaphis

Postby Sas » January 5th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Creaphis wrote:EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure that the increased listed accuracy of weakened monsters isn't just a display bug - in my experience they become more accurate as weakness increases

I happened to look at that bit of code yesterday for the probability analysis but dismissed it as unimportant.

In Items.c: 3063 Monster's/Player's native accuracy is adjusted to weakened status
short monsterAccuracyAdjusted(creature *monst) {
    short retval = monst->info.accuracy * pow(WEAPON_ENCHANT_ACCURACY_FACTOR, 2.5 * (float) monst->weaknessAmount);
    return max(retval, 0);
}

Where WEAPON_ENCHANT_ACCURACY_FACTOR is a constant 1.065.
I assumed monst->weaknessAmount was negative and continued with what I was doing at the time.
But looking at the use of the variable elsewhere and looking at "void weaken(creature *monst, short maxDuration) {" in Items.c:3082 it is clearly positive and therefore your hunch was right.
Sas

Postby tinyrodent » January 8th, 2013, 3:15 pm

An entranced eel cannot be forced into a chasm. Bug?
tinyrodent

Postby ggoDeye » January 8th, 2013, 4:19 pm

tinyrodent wrote:An entranced eel cannot be forced into a chasm. Bug?

That's clever. I wish it worked for krakens in particular.
ggoDeye

Postby sorta-stupid » January 8th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Hi guys. Squeezed in a "quick" game today for the first time in a while, and noticed a bug:
Once runic armor's effect is IDed through activation, the game reveals the percent chance (where appropriate) even before the enchant level is known, allowing you to deduce the enchant level if so inclined. Runic weapons just say "sometimes" IIRC instead of a percent until the enchant level is IDed. It's a super-minor thing, but it was probably intended to be consistent.
sorta-stupid

Postby Joshua Day » January 8th, 2013, 5:39 pm

tinyrodent wrote:An entranced eel cannot be forced into a chasm. Bug?

I'm going to say definitely. This kind of thing always needs to work; entrancement is 100% old-school adventure-game cleverness, and every solution you think up had better work.

sorta-stupid wrote:Runic weapons just say "sometimes" IIRC instead of a percent until the enchant level is IDed. It's a super-minor thing, but it was probably intended to be consistent.

It does seem wrong for it to leak info that way.
Joshua Day

Postby tinyrodent » January 8th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Dungeon seed #1357684317. Level 5 has a monkey altar puzzle with a +2 charm of invisibility. Watching the attached playback with omniscience, the monkey for no apparent reason, jumps into the lava destroying the altar item.
http://freakshare.com/files/nrke1axg/Recording-3.zip.html
tinyrodent

Postby Creaphis » January 8th, 2013, 9:59 pm

On depth 17 of seed 17152689 (the first midweek contest seed) there seems to be an area unreachable without walking across brimstone.

A spiders shooting web above deep water from a deep water trap instantly resets the ground underneath the webs to ordinary dungeon floor.

When the player is invisible, allies can still target him with spells.

Finally, just a general concern: there are lots of little cases where effects from items take longer than expected. I guess it depends on when the state of the overall dungeon is updated, and it's made worse if the player or monsters are out-of-sync with the rest of the game clock due to being hasted, either presently or at some time in the past. If it's possible to make these things more predictable, though, that would be cool. Examples:
-When throwing a potion of descent at a monster's feet, it can still sometimes get one more attack before falling. The same thing can happen with potions of paralysis and probably confusion - the monster gets one extra turn to act before the gas kicks in.
-A staff of firebolt can instantly burn and destroy a gas cloud spewing from a vent when it still only occupies a single square. If you throw an incendiary dart at the same single square of gas, the cloud gets an extra turn to grow before it begins burning.
Creaphis

Postby Goratrix » January 9th, 2013, 10:37 am

New monsters are generated in a room even when the room is filled with creeping death - not sure if that's intentional or a small oversight. Does the monster spawning code look at the status of the tiles at all? Do monsters spawn on burning or gaseous tiles?
Goratrix

Postby Sas » January 9th, 2013, 11:18 am

Ally descend really far away from the stairs, they were adjacent when I took the stairs down though.
Seed is the conjuration contest. Seed 17152689
Sas

Postby ggoDeye » January 9th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Sas wrote:Ally descend really far away from the stairs, they were adjacent when I took the stairs down though.
Seed is the conjuration contest. Seed 17152689

I believe this is working as intended and will always happen when the stairs leads to a bog.
Last edited by ggoDeye on January 9th, 2013, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby Creaphis » January 9th, 2013, 12:17 pm

ggoDeye wrote:I believe this is working as intended and will always happen when the stairs leads to a bog.

Oh man, this had better not be "as intended" - it's a crippling bug for any fragile ally build and I need to see it fixed.
Creaphis

Postby Sas » January 9th, 2013, 1:16 pm

It might be "as intended", but I think the intention isn't appropriate here.
It's true that a Salamander ally will cause havoc if allowed to descend into a bog, but it's a good way of learning that salamander allies are suicide.
Also, allies will descend into gasses and steam, I think, so why not bogs?
Sas

Postby Joshua Day » January 9th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Sas wrote:It's true that a Salamander ally will cause havoc if allowed to descend into a bog, but it's a good way of learning that salamander allies are suicide.

And you do get a turn to go back up and decide to jump down a chasm somewhere. I really think that salamanders need something to make them worth the hassle, because they pose such an excellent challenge for an ally build.
Joshua Day

Postby fugori » January 9th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Joshua Day wrote:
Sas wrote:It's true that a Salamander ally will cause havoc if allowed to descend into a bog, but it's a good way of learning that salamander allies are suicide.

And you do get a turn to go back up and decide to jump down a chasm somewhere. I really think that salamanders need something to make them worth the hassle, because they pose such an excellent challenge for an ally build.

I agree. I really want to take salamanders along with me, but everyone learns quickly, as Sas pointed out, that this is not a good idea.

There's just no reason to take one over a naga. They have only slightly higher damage output, offset by less HP. The intrinsic light is neat but doesn't help too much. The fire immunity is, I guess, the one solid advantage it has (what is MONST_IMMUNE_TO_WATER even used for?), and this benefit goes away when you negate them.

Actually speaking of this, I'm not sure what advantage nagas really have over trolls. It seems like you can find trolls earlier, and fast regeneration is probably the best ally trait. Sure nagas can go swimming, but this is actually a bad thing once you hit kraken.
fugori

Postby andrewdoull » January 9th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Joshua Day wrote:

Give them (and will'o'wisps, fire dancers) immunity to explosions? That'd at least give you a chance of clearing a bog in combination with Entrancement. I'm also not sure whether there's a minimum gas level threshold below which you don't get an explosion when the gas catches fire, but you'd need that as well to allow a bog to stay cleared.
andrewdoull

Postby Goratrix » January 9th, 2013, 4:56 pm

fugori wrote:what is MONST_IMMUNE_TO_WATER even used for?

This:

fugori wrote:nagas can go swimming

:wink:
Goratrix

Postby fugori » January 9th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Goratrix wrote:
fugori wrote:what is MONST_IMMUNE_TO_WATER even used for?

This:

fugori wrote:nagas can go swimming

:wink:

:lol:

That's a strange way of thinking about it, but I suppose it makes sense now. But how is that distinct from MONST_SUBMERGES? Do they work together to determine what they submerge in? I am going to be lazy and not try to search further in the source.
fugori

Postby Goratrix » January 9th, 2013, 5:13 pm

MONST_IMMUNE_TO_WATER = Fl(19), // monster moves at full speed in deep water and (if player) doesn't drop items
MONST_SUBMERGES = Fl(21), // monster can submerge in appropriate terrain

Looks like submerge is the "disappear ability" of Eels and Krakens, whereas Nagas can only swim on the surface of deep water, always visible. And there's also:

MONST_RESTRICTED_TO_LIQUID = Fl(20), // monster can move only on tiles that allow submersion
Goratrix

Postby Joshua Day » January 9th, 2013, 6:41 pm

andrewdoull wrote:Give them (and will'o'wisps, fire dancers) immunity to explosions? That'd at least give you a chance of clearing a bog in combination with Entrancement. I'm also not sure whether there's a minimum gas level threshold below which you don't get an explosion when the gas catches fire, but you'd need that as well to allow a bog to stay cleared.

I would be all for this! I think they should have steam immunity, too (even though it's funny to watch a will-o'-the-wisp poach itself).
Joshua Day

Postby Creaphis » January 9th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Joshua Day wrote:Give them (and will'o'wisps, fire dancers) immunity to explosions? That'd at least give you a chance of clearing a bog in combination with Entrancement.

You know, the simplest solution to the problem of salamander allies would be to just take them off of the list of possible captives. Right now captive monsters aren't contributing to Brogue's "decision tree" nearly as much as they could be; an early captive troll or tentacle horror makes everything else you find in the dungeon completely irrelevant to your survival, while salamander captives are virtually never part of a winning strategy. If anyone wants to hear them, here are my suggestions:
-Captive trolls shouldn't appear before depth 15, captive horrors shouldn't appear before depth 25.
-Captive salamanders are no longer generated.
-Chained golems shouldn't be attacked by their guards - cowardly, near-death golems are another useless addition to the decision tree.
-Centipedes and revenants should be added to the list of possible captives at appropriate depths.

Joshua Day wrote:I'm also not sure whether there's a minimum gas level threshold below which you don't get an explosion when the gas catches fire, but you'd need that as well to allow a bog to stay cleared.

At low concentrations, bog gas simply isn't rendered by the game and has no properties. As soon as it's concentrated enough to be visible it explodes if exposed to fire. There's no in-between "flammable" stage. That means that there's presently no way to keep a bog "pacified"

Goratrix wrote:Looks like submerge is the "disappear ability" of Eels and Krakens, whereas Nagas can only swim on the surface of deep water, always visible.

Nagas can also submerge in water and become invisible to the player.
Creaphis

Postby Sas » January 10th, 2013, 4:42 am

Creaphis wrote: If anyone wants to hear them, here are my suggestions:
-Captive trolls shouldn't appear before depth 15, captive horrors shouldn't appear before depth 25.

Oh no, you don't. :evil:
Sas

Postby ggoDeye » January 10th, 2013, 8:07 am

Sas wrote:

I think D12 for trolls and D23 for horrors should suffice. I chose these depths because I never seem to have much luck when I find them this deep or deeper.
ggoDeye

Postby Lomaxx » January 11th, 2013, 9:37 am

This is maybe not a bug. I can't fully judge it since I am still new to the game:

On level 1 of seed 1357891165 there is a key-altar that retracts into the ground, vanishes (do they always vanish?) and nothing happens.

The stairbug that is mentioned above also appears when you drink a potion of incineration directly beside stairs leading up (for example) , go up again (and rest), go down again. In my case I appeared two fields NE from the stair-field behind the wall that surrounds the stair-field, instead of appearing directly south from the stairs.

Can be seen in this recording: http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~bbrink/tmp/stair_bug.broguerec.zip

As far as I know the following is already known and planned to be fixed. I still wanted to mention it here. I talked about it with someone named jday on quakenet-IRC.
There is a port of Brogue for the OpenPandora, an ARM-handheld. For that ARM-port recordings sync-out directly at frame 0 or 1 and the seeds from x86 bring up different dungeons on the OP. I suppose that savegames will also not work. If I understood jday correctly this is related to floating-path-math-rounding-issues in Brogue based on the different processor.

Not a bug, but a flaw IMHO: When you drank a potion of detect magic, then you can not look at items on the map anymore getting the message "you remember seeing a .... here."
Lomaxx

Postby ggoDeye » January 11th, 2013, 11:07 am

Lomaxx wrote:Not a bug, but a flaw IMHO: When you drank a potion of detect magic, then you can not look at items on the map anymore getting the message "you remember seeing a .... here."

Yeah, this drives me nuts. Also that items on the ground in LOS don't tell you if they're positive, neutral or negative unless you pick them up. I just move so that they're out of LOS and then try to memorize the pattern in a vault.
ggoDeye

Postby Creaphis » January 11th, 2013, 11:18 am

ggoDeye wrote:
Lomaxx wrote:Not a bug, but a flaw IMHO: When you drank a potion of detect magic, then you can not look at items on the map anymore getting the message "you remember seeing a .... here."

Yeah, this drives me nuts. Also that items on the ground in LOS don't tell you if they're positive, neutral or negative unless you pick them up. I just move so that they're out of LOS and then try to memorize the pattern in a vault.

Blessed and cursed equipment could simply be rendered blue and red instead of the standard yellow.
Creaphis

Postby Guitar » January 11th, 2013, 11:48 am

Creaphis wrote:Blessed and cursed equipment could simply be rendered blue and red instead of the standard yellow.

Whhaaat!

Genius!
Guitar

Postby Sas » January 11th, 2013, 12:04 pm

ggoDeye wrote:

Sometime the inspection window that appears if you hover your mouse over an item in LOS will tell you that you're sensing positive or negative, but it's not consistent.
Also, I would wish that the brogue remember the particular item and not just that it's a weapon in general.
Sas

Postby morphles » January 11th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Last posts are very good ideas in my opition. Colorgin item icons instead of drawing symbols is much friendlier, and remembering precise items is also very approporiate. Sure I can do it with notebook or something like that, but that complicates brogues interface ;)
morphles

Postby andrewdoull » January 11th, 2013, 9:23 pm

You can identify charms with a scroll of Identify even though there's nothing left to learn about them.
andrewdoull

Postby andrewdoull » January 11th, 2013, 9:24 pm

ggoDeye wrote:
Sas wrote:

I think D12 for trolls and D23 for horrors should suffice. I chose these depths because I never seem to have much luck when I find them this deep or deeper.

This an issue with captives being generated as out of depth monsters - which IMHO shouldn't be the case.
andrewdoull

Postby Creaphis » January 13th, 2013, 1:06 am

Bridge tiles can still overlap with deep water as in depth 3 of seed 586096.
Creaphis

Postby Lomaxx » January 13th, 2013, 9:47 am

When I try to start a certain seed, like the one from the current weekend-contest (comes with a screenshot for comparison), on my linux-gentoo-x86-pc from command-line by e.g. running "./brogue -s 2304330776", then I get a different dungeon than expected. When entering the same number ingame, then I get the same as shown in the screenshot.

Theoretically this might be caused by something like my personal bash-environment, but I doubt it. Would be nice if someone else could verify this bug.
The benefit of using the command-line is the ability to copy/paste, which would be a nice feature for the ingame seed-prompt too.
Lomaxx

Postby Goratrix » January 13th, 2013, 10:31 am

Lomaxx wrote:When I try to start a certain seed, like the one from the current weekend-contest (comes with a screenshot for comparison), on my linux-gentoo-x86-pc from command-line by e.g. running "./brogue -s 2304330776", then I get a different dungeon than expected. When entering the same number ingame, then I get the same as shown in the screenshot.

Theoretically this might be caused by something like my personal bash-environment, but I doubt it. Would be nice if someone else could verify this bug.
The benefit of using the command-line is the ability to copy/paste, which would be a nice feature for the ingame seed-prompt too.

Did you try to look up the seed from within the game for the different dungeon? You can do this by pressing the ~ (tilde) key. This could help to determine if the game started with a different seed than the one that was input in the command line, or if it indeed generated a different dungeon for the correct seed.
Goratrix

Postby Lomaxx » January 13th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Pressing "~" ingame shows the seed# 2147483647 for the above example of running "./brogue -s 2304330776"
Lomaxx

Postby Creaphis » January 13th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Interesting. That's the maximum value for a 4-byte signed integer, so I guess the variable for the -s argument isn't typed properly.
Creaphis

Postby roguewombat » January 13th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Hey guys, I found a reminder in my phone from a while back and can't remember if I reported this already (or if someone else has). I had a game a while back where I poisoned a goblin mystic to death. His spectral blades that remained did not die off when he died like they would from a melee death.
roguewombat

Postby Creaphis » January 13th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Goblin mystics don't summon spectral blades.
Creaphis

Postby sorta-stupid » January 13th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Another "quick" game (I guess this means my break from Brogue is basically over... there goes my productivity) and I noticed another small bug (well, maybe it doesn't quite qualify as a bug; it may only reach the level of "odd effect"):
Grass growing in shallow water can catch fire; if the player crosses it, they don't catch fire. However, allies refuse to cross it until the fire goes out. It burns for roughly the same amount of time as green grass.
Creaphis wrote:Goblin mystics don't summon spectral blades.

Taken out of context from the post above it, I thought this was a clever fake bug report from a fellow who ought to know better ;)
sorta-stupid

Postby roguewombat » January 13th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Just me putting mystic instead of conjurer. The bug still stands, though. :P
roguewombat

Postby Creaphis » January 14th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Allied liches still don't generate phylacteries when they burn to death.

Yes, I'm messing around with polymorph + domination again.
Creaphis

Postby Creaphis » January 14th, 2013, 10:50 pm

If a kraken's got a hold on you, entrancing it and moving away doesn't work. You get the standard "you struggle" message and then neither the @ or the K moves an inch. I guess this could be working as intended, but it's been argued elsewhere that the staff of entrancement is an "adventure game item" and every clever use for it should work. Also, a mere attempt to move is usually enough to get a monster to mirror your attempted movement - entranced monsters will move even if you simply attack a monster in melee or attempt to move while stuck in a web.

Entrancement still doesn't last as many turns as the item description says it should.
Creaphis

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 1:55 am

Creaphis wrote:If a kraken's got a hold on you, entrancing it and moving away doesn't work. You get the standard "you struggle" message and then neither the @ or the K moves an inch. I guess this could be working as intended, but it's been argued elsewhere that the staff of entrancement is an "adventure game item" and every clever use for it should work. Also, a mere attempt to move is usually enough to get a monster to mirror your attempted movement - entranced monsters will move even if you simply attack a monster in melee or attempt to move while stuck in a web.

Entrancement still doesn't last as many turns as the item description says it should.

Agreed on both counts. Will fix.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 1:57 am

Creaphis wrote:Allied liches still don't generate phylacteries when they burn to death.

Well, the mechanical reason why this is the case is the same as the reason that vampire bats don't generate vampires when you dominate them and they die. Just as the vampire bat won't have been generated by a vampire's summon, the lich won't have been generated by a phylactery's summon. Similarly, a monster polymorphed into a phoenix won't drop an egg when it dies. No promises when this will be fixed...
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:06 am

andrewdoull wrote:
ggoDeye wrote:
Sas wrote:

This an issue with captives being generated as out of depth monsters - which IMHO shouldn't be the case.

Thanks for catching this! Will fix.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby andrewdoull » January 15th, 2013, 5:05 am

Creaphis wrote:A spiders shooting web above deep water from a deep water trap instantly resets the ground underneath the webs to ordinary dungeon floor.

From what I know of the code, this is going to be one of those incredibly annoying edge cases that will require a significant change (adding another dungeon layer) to fix.
andrewdoull

Postby andrewdoull » January 15th, 2013, 6:38 am

DalaranJ wrote:seed 1352436300 depth 6

Pender: I ran into this problem developing these types of rooms for UnBrogue. IIRC its because I allowed an outsourced item which is not a key to appear as place of a key in nested library. I ended up having to split ADOPT_ITEM into ADOPT_ITEM_KEY and ADOPT_ITEM_NONKEY and allow nested libraries to only ADOPT_ITEM_KEY.
andrewdoull

Postby Creaphis » January 15th, 2013, 8:19 am

Pender wrote:
Creaphis wrote:Allied liches still don't generate phylacteries when they burn to death.

Well, the mechanical reason why this is the case is the same as the reason that vampire bats don't generate vampires when you dominate them and they die. Just as the vampire bat won't have been generated by a vampire's summon, the lich won't have been generated by a phylactery's summon. Similarly, a monster polymorphed into a phoenix won't drop an egg when it dies. No promises when this will be fixed...

Oh, so it would work correctly if I dominated a natural lich? That's good to know actually.

EDIT: Could this be fixed just by having polymorph generate phylacteries? I guess that would be weird flavour-wise.
Creaphis

Postby fugori » January 15th, 2013, 10:19 am

Hey, I was hoping for a quick confirmation:

I think it's fairly well known that fear and allies don't mix well.

The last time I tested this out in 1.7 some of my allies would recover from fear and return to ally status, and some would become wandering. I couldn't really tell why. I have just assumed it's a coin flip and adjusted scroll identification strategy to reduce the risk of accidentally causing fear on my allies (which was also a good move for mitigating the risk of reading negation, so whatever).

Is this a bug? A feature? An acceptable thingy? I was just hoping for confirmation. Does anyone know the exact trigger that causes some allies to return to ally status and some to become wandering?
fugori

Postby Blazko » January 15th, 2013, 10:49 am

I dont know the trigger but it would be nice if those allies which are with you for a longer time (many turns) are less likely to go to wandering status and those allies who are with you for only a short time are more likely to turn to wandering status because those allies who are walking with you for longer time have become intimate friends to you and do not fear you so easily.
Another factor could be, how much HP the ally has at the time the fear-cry has been made: Allies with less HP-percentage have a higher probability to go to wandering status because they are physically and mentally weak at this moment and thus more impressed by the cry.
A third factor could be the intelligence and wisdom of the ally. More intelligent allies like the casters goblin mystic/conjurer, dar-elves, Ogre-caster etc. would be more likely to return to ally status after a cry of fear.
Blazko

Postby Sas » January 15th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Creaphis wrote:
Pender wrote:

Oh, so it would work correctly if I dominated a natural lich? That's good to know actually.

EDIT: Could this be fixed just by having polymorph generate phylacteries? I guess that would be weird flavour-wise.

My experience with polymorphing liches is that a polymorphed lich will drop a phylactery even as the other monster, (also after being negated, very annoying) and a monster polymorphed to a lich will not drop a phylactery, like Pender said.
Sas

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:19 pm

andrewdoull wrote:
DalaranJ wrote:seed 1352436300 depth 6

Pender: I ran into this problem developing these types of rooms for UnBrogue. IIRC its because I allowed an outsourced item which is not a key to appear as place of a key in nested library. I ended up having to split ADOPT_ITEM into ADOPT_ITEM_KEY and ADOPT_ITEM_NONKEY and allow nested libraries to only ADOPT_ITEM_KEY.

Exactly right! I'm fixing it by having the adoptive machine flag the key item as AUTO_ID_ON_PICKUP whether or not the donor machine flagged it that way. (I like that nested libraries can adopt non-keys -- it makes them a little less predictable.) I'm also making all vault items auto-ID when you first set foot in the vault, instead of having to run around and pick them up individually.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

fugori wrote:Hey, I was hoping for a quick confirmation:

I think it's fairly well known that fear and allies don't mix well.

The last time I tested this out in 1.7 some of my allies would recover from fear and return to ally status, and some would become wandering. I couldn't really tell why. I have just assumed it's a coin flip and adjusted scroll identification strategy to reduce the risk of accidentally causing fear on my allies (which was also a good move for mitigating the risk of reading negation, so whatever).

Is this a bug? A feature? An acceptable thingy? I was just hoping for confirmation. Does anyone know the exact trigger that causes some allies to return to ally status and some to become wandering?

I consider it a bug. I've tried to set them to return to allied state when the fear wears off, but it's pretty unreliable.

Cause Fear in general isn't exactly a star performer in terms of reliability. Cornered fleeing monsters will still take shots at you, and that can make for deaths that feel unwarranted and unfair. I wonder if the answer isn't just to ditch that scroll and charm altogether. Would you guys be particularly opposed?
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Creaphis wrote:Oh, so it would work correctly if I dominated a natural lich? That's good to know actually.

I guess so, but that would mean another data field for monsters, and I'd also have to remove the phylactery/egg/vampire when the lich/phoenix/vampire bat got polymorphed into something else.

Or, I could just prevent polymorph from resulting in liches or phoenixes...
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:35 pm

andrewdoull wrote:
Creaphis wrote:A spiders shooting web above deep water from a deep water trap instantly resets the ground underneath the webs to ordinary dungeon floor.

From what I know of the code, this is going to be one of those incredibly annoying edge cases that will require a significant change (adding another dungeon layer) to fix.

Nailed it, as usual. This is intended behavior in the sense that I don't intend to change it :)

There's probably some more complex data structure I should be using that would allow terrain layers to stack arbitrarily high... but I can't really imagine implementing such a thing for edge cases like this.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 2:41 pm

roguewombat wrote:Hey guys, I found a reminder in my phone from a while back and can't remember if I reported this already (or if someone else has). I had a game a while back where I poisoned a goblin mystic to death. His spectral blades that remained did not die off when he died like they would from a melee death.

Have you verified this by examining the recording? From your description, it sounds like the blades may have come from a different now-offscreen conjurer. They also sometimes hang around for one turn after the conjurer dies and then vanish at the start of their next turn without getting a chance to move. Could it have been either of these possibilities?
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » January 15th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Creaphis wrote:Interesting. That's the maximum value for a 4-byte signed integer, so I guess the variable for the -s argument isn't typed properly.

Sounds right to me. Until Josh has a chance to look at this, perhaps we could do the weekly contests with a seed that's less than half of the maximum unsigned value (i.e. 2,147,483,647 or less). That still gives us a decent number of dungeons to play with :)
Pender
Site Admin

Next

Return to Brogue General Discussion