NEWS:

[COMPLETE] 54th Weekend Contest: 3/8 - 3/12 (S: 917428036)

Discuss Brogue -- strategy, feature requests, discoveries, character builds...

[COMPLETE] 54th Weekend Contest: 3/8 - 3/12 (S: 917428036)

Postby fugori » March 9th, 2013, 8:34 am

Please note that createforumhosting was down for a large portion of yesterday, so I was unable to post this properly here during that time period. In the meantime I posted it on r/roguelikes. As a result, I'm extending the contest deadline in both places to 6PM EST on 3/12. I'm also going to be transfering contest results posted in the reddit thread over to here as necessary.

Hello everyone, and welcome to the 54th Brogue Weekend Contest!

The seed for this contest, created from an estimate of rogue corpses in the Dungeons of Doom, is 917428036.

How to compete:

1. The contest begins right now, on Friday March 8th, 2013 at 23:00 UTC (6:00 PM EST). You can start your game any time after this. The contest is open to anyone.

2. Start a game by control-clicking "New Game" in Brogue v1.7.2 and entering the seed. Verify that the screenshot below matches what you see on your screen.

3. Play through the game. You only get one chance. We are all on the honor system here.

4. Once you are finished, record your score and post the details of your game in this thread. Minimum requirements for consideration include your score, cause of death and lowest level reached. However, the thread is open to all spoilers, so feel free to add screenshots, game recordings, character dumps, strategy tips, etc. You do not need to wait for the end of the contest.

5. The contest will run for 72 hours (three whole days)* and ends on Tuesday March 12th, 2013 at 23:00 UTC (6:00 PM EST). You must finish your game and post your results by that time to be considered in the contest.

6. As a result of point 4,

PLEASE DO NOT READ THE REST OF THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL YOUR RUN IS FINISHED.

As always, honor system.

7. Good luck! Have fun, etc.

* As mentioned before, there was a significant delay in posting this here due to the createforumhosting outage. I think it's fair to extend the contest deadline as a result, to Tuesday the 12th at 6PM EST.
Last edited by fugori on March 14th, 2013, 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fugori

Re: 54th Weekend Contest: 3/8 - 3/12 (Seed 917428036)

Postby fugori » March 9th, 2013, 8:35 am

Results:

25 people participated in our 54th Brogue Weekend Contest!

The only thing you need to know about this contest is that ggoDeye won in perhaps the most definitive way possible! WOW!

Let's count the firsts:

First 25 lumenstone victory in a contest.
First recorded 25 lumenstone victory in 1.7.2 AFAIK.
First level 40 victory in a contest.
First recorded acid jelly jellymaster victory.
First jellymaster victory in a contest.
First time anyone has achieved 160,000 points or more in a contest.
First time anyone has achieved 170,000 points or more ever AFAIK.

Did I miss any?

Loynis, indecisive and creaphis posted very strong entries as well, but the stars aligned in a big way for ggoDeye - no one else came anywhere near equaling that accomplishment.

Congratulations again, ggoDeye! Your achievement has been recorded in the wiki!

Code: Select all
==============  =========  =========  ==================================
  Contestant      Score      Depth         Cause of death / Victory     
  ggoDeye        185755       40      Mastered the Dungeons of Doom with 25 lumenstones!
  Loynis         83207        29      Escaped the Dungeons of Doom with 6 lumenstones!
  indecisive     50266        26      Escaped the Dungeons of Doom!
  Creaphis       30907        33      Killed by a dragon on level 33, amulet in hand.
  fugori         30384        30      Killed by a kraken on level 29, amulet in hand.
  Pender         19303        22      Killed by a fury on level 22.
  Cybermg        11079        18      Killed by a dar blademaster on level 18.
  sorta-stupid   9531         19      Killed by an acid jelly on level 19.
  tinyrodent     7254         13      Killed by a dar blademaster on level 13.
  butteredtoast  5479         13      Killed by a goblin on level 13.
  pente          4333         13      Killed by a pink jelly on level 13.
  thedrin        2985         10      Killed by a wraith on level 10.
  sciolizer      2557         10      Burned to death on level 10.
  Mercury13      1570         7       Killed by an ogre on level 7.
  ghiacciato     784          6       Killed by a vampire bat on level 6.
  ais523         96           2       Killed by an eel on level 2.
  Stossel        96           3       Killed by a rat on level 3.
  stevelosh      ?            12      Killed by a violent explosion on level 12.
  MasterBlaster  ?            12      Killed by a bog monster on level 12.
  Rev            ?            7       Killed by a vampire bat on level 7.
  ooo27          ?            6       Killed by a vampire bat on level 6.
  smaug13        ?            6       Killed by a vampire bat on level 6.
  wintyfresh     ?            3       Killed by a rat on level 3.
  mirth23        ?            3       Killed by a pink jelly on level 3.
  Personman      ?            ?       ?

Last edited by fugori on March 14th, 2013, 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fugori

Postby butteredtoast » March 9th, 2013, 2:40 pm

5479 killed by a goblin on level 13.

Gah, I should have wrote this last night when it was all fresh in my head.

Man I was near death almost from the start. Using that staff of negation seemed to help with vampire bats (That does take their transferrence ability right? I remember negating a couple over lava for an easy kill too) Not sure when I got the wands of obstruction and digging, but until I got firebolt in the level 7 vault, obstruct + dig was my only real option for anything. The ax from 7 felt like a gift from the gods by this point.

Enchanted the firebolt a couple times and the obstruction wand at least once, mainly to clear inventory space for other things. Mostly I was holding out for an armor upgrade that never came.

Found an Ogre buddy later that I thought might be the thing to turn this game around, but on level 10 I stepped into a pit trap, TOOK ONE STEP on 11 and fell into another pit trap to 12. (Man Brogue can be just plain mean sometimes) I never did get that Ogre back. Perpetually under 50% health, and with food becoming an issue, I ran across a big goblin hoard worshiping 3 goblin totems, my ax was able to take care of most the gobins, but soon they were hasted and I was surrounded. I obstructed us all together, but there was no way for me to dig out without either being at the mercy of the totems or at least one of the g's. I was one move away from being able to flee when the goblin finally finished me off.

In retrospect I should have dumped all my enchants into my staves. Fun seed though, the 'always on your toes' feeling is what I love most about roguelikes.
butteredtoast

Postby fugori » March 9th, 2013, 3:17 pm

30384 Killed by a kraken on level 29, amulet in hand. // +10 lumenstones stashed

I was on my way up, actually. I did two things that led directly to my death. 1. I failed to activate my +7 telepathy charm, thus I didn't see the kraken in the water I needed to cross, and 2. I failed to wait for my allies to catch up to me, thus I had no help fighting the kraken.

Fun seed! I'll review my recording later and post some thoughts.

From memory, my ending gear was:

+0 plate
+1 dagger of force
+x axe of confusion
+2 ring of stealth
+1 ring of light
+11 ring of regeneration
obstruction 3
tunneling 3
firebolt 3
+7 telepathy charm
+2 negation charm
+2 haste charm
spent wands of domination, invisibility, negation, negation
fugori

Postby Rev » March 9th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Killed by a vampire bat on level 7. The beginning of this seed is really tough. There are no weapons or armor..
Rev

Postby indecisive » March 9th, 2013, 5:30 pm

VICTORY! http://www.mediafire.com/?2ucoiht576472z0

This is my first ascension in brogue after playing for a week or two and only 2 other runs that got me to the 20's, so I didn't take any chances near the end and just ran for the amulet / booked it back to the entrance. I've still never fought a dragon or kraken.

Final score: 50266

Early on I was sweating hard because of the SEVERE lack of fight-worthy gear. In D:3 I chose the staff of obstruction from the vault, which wasnt a hard choice but really payed off because it was invaluable throughout the run, especially in some of the early floors for escaping bad fights. I came very close to dying many times in the first 8 floors and got a lot of use out of the obstruction wand until I finally found an axe. I fell to D8 initially to escape an ogre, going back to the vault on D7 I realized looking at the options that my best choice given the staffs I had already was to go all-in on the 'mobility' build, skipping the firebolt staff in favor of a staff of blinking. This turned out to be a good choice - the combination of Obstruction/Tunneling/Blinking got me through most of the game, since finding good gear came far too late to stack enchants on it. Additionally, the tunnel + blink combo got me into the mirrored totem vault on the same level where I picked up a +3 regen ring that I wore the entire game and saved me a lot of turns of resting - I'm sure I wouldn't have lived without it, given how often I had to play it slow in the later levels I still was down to 1 ration at the end. On D10 I found a plate armor and was SO pathetically grateful to have found some real armor that I blew all 4 of my enchanting scrolls on it, not realizing a the time that it started at -2 or -3. It kept me through the end of the game, though. It's fortunate too, because this was the point of the game where I really had to start fighting zombies and wights. For some reason though I was still more afraid of ogres.

On D14 I almost killed myself standing in steam in a tiny room after a fire trap ignited the water, more scared of the burning status effect. By the time I hit 25% health I realized "oh yeah, tunneling + blinking" and dug my way out. This was also the point where inventory management became a real concern, because I was hauling 3 staves, 3 charms, and 2 wands. On D15 I make a real fool of myself for a while, don't watch it. I did however find a war axe, and keeping in mind the Plate incident earlier I pop negation on it before picking it up.

D16 is where shit starts to get real. I decide I've had enough of this wand of domination not doing anything and grab a troll ally. This proves to be an excellent choice, and he helps a ton with the next 3 floors. On D18 I spot a Tentacle Horror and grab him also. We're 3 regen bros. Unfortunately, Mr Tentacle falls to a gas trap and some monsters as we try to escape through a narrow passage. I also find a staff of poison which I initially write as useless but keep anyway since it's my only ranged damage at this point. My troll serves me valiantly and falls out of sight while I'm hiding like a scared little boy, apparently he and the monsters he was fighting set of another caustic gas trap that got ignited by the nearby brimstone. On D20 I find myself getting wrecked at a distance by a pixie, and find to my pleasure that my staff of poison is enough to kill it. Keeping this in mind, I use it again to dominate an agile pixie on D21, which is basically a pixie on crack, blinking around like a maniac. It even solos a revenant for me, and makes a bunch of liches very trivial. Unfortunately it gets killed on D22, one-shot by a phantom.

On D24 a vampiric imp steals my telepathy charm which I honestly had forgotten I even had at this point - ultimately I abandon it and move on. I'm sure it would have been very useful but oh well, I don't want to devote a ton of effort trying since I have almost no way to hurt it aside from chasing it around with my axe for days. I get chased down to D25 by a golem I really dont have the gear to fight, and at this point I'm in full on 'dive for victory' mode. I leap into a convenient pit to hit D26 and pop a mapping scroll, having no idea what to look for. The only thing that pops out is a statue to the east, so I wander over there and find the amulet, guarded by a dragon and golem. I am NOT wanting to fight anything at this point, so I toss a confusion pot in there, then after the fumes are gone I book it through, grab the amulet, and run for the stairs. The run back was thankfully pretty uneventful, the mobility staves are very useful in that regard. I used all the fire protection and levitation potions I had been hoarding and took every shortcut possible, only getting stuck once when an explosive bloat got dangerously near and I caught myself in the obstruction staff usage.

Final gear at the end of the run was:
+2 war axe (2 enchants)
+3 plate armor (corroded once or twice so total 7 enchants, going by the 12 weight)
+3 ring of regen
+1 ring of stealth
+2 haste charm
+2 negation charm
3 charge poison staff
3 charge obstruction staff
4 charge tunneling staff (2 enchants)
5 charge blinking staff (3 enchants)
3 charge lightning staff, never used
and 8 charges of negation wands, this run was just rolling in negation usability by the end, which made dealing with revenants, liches, and dar casters a breeze. There was even a 2nd negation charm I ignored at some point, I just didn't need it.

Man, what a rush. Gotta love the feeling of beating a roguelike for the first time, it happens so infrequently.
indecisive

Postby MasterBlaster » March 9th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Killed by a bog monster on level 12. Man that was a tough seed. Was struggling to survive as I couldn't find any armor or weapon until the +0 axe, by that point ogres were hammering me for 1/3 of my health every time. I fell down two levels at one point and saw my first wraith. Thought I was a goner at that point but managed to slip through the lava to escape via a potion of fire immunity. I snuck through that level with a potion of invisibility and reached the level where I first fell. I didn't have much hope for this game until I found plate mail! I'm saved! Nope, cursed! I had no other option at that point so I blessed that cursed mail until I was not getting destroyed by ogres so easily. The wand of domination [2] was a nice find but I didn't get to use it. I was wandering through the bog and got caught and surrounded by three bog monsters. I obstructed them, but apparently they can still grapple your ankles whilst frozen in green crystal :cry: . Gg bog monsters...
MasterBlaster

Postby Loynis » March 9th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Escaped Dungeons of Doom with 6 lumestones! Score is 83207. Max depth reached - 29 (XPXP only).

Recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/okhn9kusmosbu ... .broguerec

Gear:
+4 dagger of force
+1 plate armour (was hit by acid mound once)
+2 ring of stealth
+1 ring of stealth

staff of blinking n\7
staff of discord n\5
staff of tunneling n\3
staff of lightning n\3
+1 leather armor of dampening
+0 warhammer
+2 negation charm
+1 negation charm
+2 telepathy charm
+2 haste charm

The seed was tough at the start, by d7 I had only +0 axe and +1 leather of dampening, so I decided to enchant my staves of discord and blink. Later I found dagger of force and cursed plate, which I negated. Managed to survive till d16 by sneak kills with a mace, traps manipulation, blinking, discord and force-push into lava. At d16 I whacked a paralyzed troll and saw that my wand of domination, which I've forgotten of, has 100% chance to work. Next depth there was dar priestess captive, and things went much smoother.

D23 had jackpot - dragon captive in the reward room. At d27 I managed to dominate juggernaut dragon. I was supercautious and used up both of my negation wands on d28, so I decided not to go deeper, I never got back with lumestones before :lol:

On the way back I accidentially set of a confusion trap at d14, where I thought I was safe. Two confused dragons were scary enough, if not for staff of blinking it could be the stupidest death. Dungeons of doom are never safe to walk :twisted:
Loynis

Postby Cybermg » March 9th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Crosspost from reddit:

11079 - Killed by a dar blademaster on level 18.

This was a fun, challenging seed. I was on D:9 or 10, not having found a worthwhile weapon or armor, my inventory was almost overflowing with unspent enchant scrolls, and I had just found the +3 ring of regeneration. I decided to go for the full regen build. I managed to survive without using enchants on anything else mostly through the decent staff and charm toolkit the dungeon gave me - tunneling and obstruction for escape, two charms of negation, a charm of haste, staff of firebolt, etc. Dominating a troll also helped, and by D:18 I was nearly fitting into plate armor with a +13 ring of regeneration.

Then I got careless with a dar pack. Got slowed and firebolted several times, drank a potion of life. Continued to retreat and misjudged how much health I would lose on the next turn (the last turn of my slow). I figured that the regeneration gave me a bit of a safety buffer, but I got hit twice and died. The number of tools I had in my inventory to deal with this situation was embarrassing, from another potion of life, to a scroll of teleportation, to obstruction, to haste, to negation. But it's 2am. Don't play tired.
Cybermg

Postby pente » March 9th, 2013, 9:08 pm

4333 Killed by a pink jelly on level 13.

This was my worst game of 1.7.2 by either score or depth! Tough start as the others have observed, and I'm surprised that some people did so well. I nearly died to jackals near the beginning, with one hit away from death for several turns. The tunneling staff was absolutely invaluable, and I just walked around lots of opponents (like the eels on D:2, vampire bats on D:6, and the centipede on D:7) that I otherwise would have been forced to confront. Unfortunately, looking at the recording I see that walking around the bats on D:6 caused me to miss two enchantments and a ration of food, which would easily have kept my character alive much longer.

I think the key early game decision was what staff to take from the vault on D:3. I was inclined towards discord, but remembering past games where I've had discord but no way to deal damage (which yields a prolonged and painful death) I opted for blinking, which is a great late-game staff. The blinking saved me a few times, but in retrospect discord would have served me better, especially with the jellies.

On D:7 I chose lightning over firebolt, again for late-game potential, but I found again and again wishing I had chosen firebolt instead. On D:7 I also chose the regeneration ring but died 1105 turns later, so never found out it was +3. I also missed an enchantment on D:7... brutal. By D:9 I was only exploring about half of each level. Ultimately I encountered a pink jelly + dar priestess while in the open... axe or no, being surrounded by hasted pink jellies while in leather armor is deadly.

I think this was a very good contest seed because of the large number of expendables it provided early on -- a skilled player will get a lot more mileage out of the expendables. Had I been more clever with my use of expendables (or, say, teleported away from the pink jellies instead of setting them on fire) I doubtlessly could have done much better.
pente

Postby wintyfresh » March 9th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Killed by rats on level 3!

I am legitimately terrible at this game. Took the room key, got hit with the paralytic gas and then gnawed to death :D
wintyfresh

Postby ais523 » March 9th, 2013, 10:38 pm

96, killed by an eel on level 2. I knew I was potentially in trouble as soon as I explored into a dead end made of shallow water, but decided to fight it out rather than drink random potions or read random scrolls.
ais523

Postby Stossel » March 9th, 2013, 11:23 pm

96, killed by a rat on level 3. Got paralyzed by the gas and that was the end of me.
Stossel

Postby Pender » March 10th, 2013, 1:08 am

Killed by a fury on depth 22 with 19303 gold. Oh well -- very fun seed, but kind of a comedy of errors.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby thedrin » March 10th, 2013, 4:48 am

2985 Killed by a wraith on depth 10. I stopped trying after my monkey died.
thedrin

Postby tinyrodent » March 10th, 2013, 12:29 pm

7254 Killed by a dar blademaster on level 13

I was struggling with no good armor or weapon, holding a bunch of enchant scrolls and hoping for the best. I had a cursed plate mail and each time I found a new scroll I would drop the plate and try the scroll hoping for negation. Until the last one, which was summon monsters. A spider and 3 dar blademasters finished me off in no time flat. Should have spent some enchants elsewhere to free up inventory, carried the scrolls for a while, and used detect magic instead.
tinyrodent

Postby Creaphis » March 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I accidentally stepped next to an obstructed dragon. Depth 33, 30907 points, 11 lumenstones on depth 8, 2 more sitting by stairs on D:32 I believe. Details tomorrow maybe.
Creaphis

Postby sorta-stupid » March 10th, 2013, 7:55 pm

9531, Acidic jelly (starvation really) floor 19. I dove from depth 15 when I was low on food. Had to rely on obstruction / tunneling / lightning due to lack of good melee gear early, and to rest a lot, even with a +4 regen ring, to heal. That's what killed me.
sorta-stupid

Postby Mercury13 » March 10th, 2013, 8:43 pm

1st floor. I’ll try to be more cautious and attentive, but I cannot, too busy was my Sunday.
2nd floor. What a heck, a bog full of eels. I’m too weak, run as fast as possible. Got without trouble.
3nd floor. Well, a treasury. Tunneling appeared to be +3 (+2 is mostly useless). Monkey. Not particularly useful buddy, and, really, I lost it quickly. Rat trap, making a niche with a staff, defending! Lots of staves, took obstruction (tunneling+onstruction should stack, though I didn’t test).
4th floor. Lots of water, I’m still weak! Accidentally press X, thanks god, nothing poor. Acid mound. Another mistake, didn’t remove leather armor. Pockets are full, time to test. Found strength and telepathy, go on.
5th floor. Nothing special, though identified detect magic and found two more. No weapons, no armor!
6th floor. Many, many monsters. Luck again: found potion of life. And two unidentified grenades, maybe use them against vamp. bats. Creeping death and incineration. A horde of goblin again! Quickly disable them with obstruction, go down.
7th floor. Centipede. No weapon. Let’s throw darts at it. And another! Just win a couple seconds, wear off weakness! Centipedes, ogres, acid mounds, no weapons, ate the last ration, and…

1570. Killed by an ogre on level 7.
Mercury13

Postby sciolizer » March 10th, 2013, 11:28 pm

2557 Burned to death on level 10.

This is my 7th game on 1.7. Lot harder than 1.6!

If I hadn't burned to death, I would have died from hunger anyway. I tried to go for a tunneling/obstruction build, but I wasted a lot of nutrition trying to get my health back up.

I learned that casting invisibility on a mirroring totem (thus making yourself invisible) will let you walk over the glyphs without being beckoned. Surprising, but helpful.

I think I had all of the positive potions identified before I identified any of the negative potions. What are the odds of that? (Have the potions probabilities changed in 1.7, or was it just a lucky seed?)

Another 1.7 question: what happened to depth? Is there anyway for me to know what depth I'm at without keeping notes on the side?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4l-Eedmt4UoSldMOGpaSXpya28/edit?usp=sharing
sciolizer

Postby indecisive » March 10th, 2013, 11:43 pm

sciolizer wrote:I learned that casting invisibility on a mirroring totem (thus making yourself invisible) will let you walk over the glyphs without being beckoned. Surprising, but helpful.

Neat, didn't know that.
sciolizer wrote:I think I had all of the positive potions identified before I identified any of the negative potions. What are the odds of that? (Have the potions probabilities changed in 1.7, or was it just a lucky seed?)

Pretty good if one of the early positive potions is 'detect magic' :P
indecisive

Postby ggoDeye » March 11th, 2013, 2:59 pm

EDIT: Sorry that this took so long. Recording here.

185,755: D40: Ascend +25!

Equipment:
The almighty wand of domination! 0 enchants, 3 scrolls of recharging. Would have been 4 but I ID'd the first one a few turns before finding this.
+10 staff of tunneling: 7 enchants
+3 ring of awareness: 2 enchants
+5 obstruction: 2 enchants
+6 firebolt: 3 enchants
---------
14 total. I imagine that several were burnt up by my firebolt casting allies.

I will be able to post a recording later tonight that goes down to D33, but didn’t have time this weekend finish and will not be able to upload the rest of the run from this computer.

I have decided to only swing for the fences in these contests and started this off with an ally run in mind. By the first vault I already had a +3 staff of tunneling and obstruction which make for my second favorite ally build set up. I also found a monkey on D3 which I decided must stay alive as it could potentially be the only ally that I get for the rest of the game, if only I had found the turd on D1 instead… 2 levels of XPXP makes an enormous difference in the survivability of a monkey companion.

D6 is when this seed starts getting really serious, with a pack of vampire bats and a goblin mystic gobo party. Luckily I have IDd all positive potions except fire immunity at this point and my health and strength have been improved. The only equipment that I’ve found by this point is a set of javelins, which at 14 strength are a huge improvement over the starting dagger. Unfortunately I was too oblivious to think to equip them yet. I have to use obstruction for the first time to keep my stupid monkey alive and then tunnel him out so that we can rest.

D7 is where I realize that I might really have a shot at ascending as there are 2 non-nested vaults, one has a ring of awareness and the other has a +3 staff of firebolt. I used to consider rings of awareness as a waste of inventory space, but I find them to be almost a necessity for me to ascend with an ally build in 1.7.2. The synergy between firebolt, obstruction and tunneling is freaking amazing and I put 2 enchants into each by the end of level bringing them all to +5. Also my monkey learned protection from a goblin mystic on this level. A protecting monkey, 6 enchants and having a strategy to use them by D7 has historically meant that I have very high chance of ascending in a contest and I am starting to get the feeling of “flow”.

On monkeys: In the past and on the rare occasion that I bothered to keep them alive long enough to have them learn something I would go for strength sapping. Oh, what a fool I was. In a complex game of subtlety, opinion and style I feel that the statement: “Protection is THE correct first ability to let a monkey learn” is objectively true regardless of context. The most important reason is that it slows those clowns down enough so that you can overcome their primary disability, you start controling the location of battles instead of their "charge first" AI. The next reason is that it buys you an enormous amount of time to delay using your enchants or to find enough of them to get your build up and running. A single monkey with protection will give you reasonable odds of taking down an ogre with starting equipment. Mix this combo with nearly any single unenchanted staff and you can almost certainly take an ogre. You’re pretty much able to avoid using enchants until D10 when you have a reasonable chance of running into wraiths.
EDIT: Actually, you can take wraiths this way as well if both you and your monkey can attack the wraith at the same time. Even better if your monkey has also learned strength sapping by D10.

On D9 I am overwhelmed with joy at finding a captive ogre. Now I have a team that can handle lone wraiths and I haven’t spent a single enchant on melee gear! My emotional response to this cracks me up because in the past I would typically leave ogres chained when I find them this deep, considering them more of a liability then anything else.

D11: I find a wand of domination. Now the question isn’t IF I’ll ascend, but with how many lumenstones. I can’t wait to find a troll.

D12: I start the level telepathic hoping to find a troll to dominate and I find something at least 10x better, a seriously out of depth dar priestess & pink jelly pack. I start exploring hoping to find a good path to her so that I can avoid a pink jelly explosion and find that she is walking directly to the start of the level. I back track and search hoping for a secret door. I don’t find one but remember that I have a +5 staff of tunneling in my pack and open up a path to her. I negate the jelly immediately and stab it a few times to stop it from blocking the hallway, but she’s healing it. I tunnel a path around and take a few hits from the jelly as I walk past. I contemplate hitting the priestess with the +5 firebolt but worry it will kill her and then realize that my javelins will likely do the trick before she kills us all with lightning. With the new acquisition, team ggoDeye should be able to steam roll the dungeon until dar parties start showing up. I’m feeling good.

D15: I dominate a troll. I contemplate picking up a centaur as well but remember that they are useless against golems which make up well over 50% of the enemy HP pool in the deep dungeon.

D17: Ah, the sweet moment that I’ve been waiting for 5 levels: My first acidic jelly encounter. I wonder if it’s worth it this late in the dungeon as I’ve never tried an acidic jelly run and I know that they can start showing up at least as early as D10. Are they worth an incredibly valuable domination charge 7 levels of XPXP late? As you’ll find out, the answer is a “YES!” On D18 my troll steps towards an ogre when he has the tiniest sliver of health and dies. I still have absolutely no idea why it did that as I was at full health and it had another square to move to.

By D19 I had 30+ jellies and the ability to isolate and destroy dar parties. At some point I freed a captive dar priestess & a dragon. The rest of the run goes about the way you might expect. The biggest challenge was keeping my mobile healing battery alive until a jelly learned healing. At the very end of D32 and at the end of the recording that I will post I had lost all healers. I was so exhausted and frustrated that I took all of Sunday off from playing so that I wouldn’t do something stupid and blow my first real shot at a max lumenstone run in a contest. After resuming I ran back up above D20 and spent over an hour hunting for dar priestesses for my jellies to feed off of. I then spent about another 30 minutes making sure that there were at least 15 of the buggers before I made the final push to D40. In the recording you will notice that I only picked up the first 3 lumenstones. I’ve started clearing the deep dungeon and only locating the lumens to make sure that I don’t lower my maximum survivability by clearing my inventory of consumables. I go as deep as I think I can survive and then start hauling the lumens. In this run I cleared all the way to D40 before going back for them.

Throughout this run I gained valuable insights into what I think of as jelly “herd physics.”
- Low HP allies can essentially teleport to the other side of the herd by shifting the herd’s inertia through shifting its center of mass (you). I once noticed a dar priestess move 20+ squares in a single turn as the direction of the herd reversed and higher HP jellies continued to displace her. I used this phenomenon to keep crucial allies alive when they were low on HP.
-High HP, fast moving allies can stick to the center of mass (@) better than anything else.

The result of the last point combined with an enemy AI’s melee target preference for the lowest HP ally in reach is that dragons compliment jelly builds in devastating ways. You can control the dragons relative position by controlling where you are as they generally want to be directly near you unless engaged in melee or are at low HP. Combine this with being hasted and you can get devastating offensive power where you want it when you want it while the enemies attack jellies leaving your dragons unharmed.

One unfortunate thing that I learned is that flying jellies with higher HP and with nowhere else to go will push other allies around regardless of their starting positions. This means that traps, lava and chasms are fair game. My poor monkey from D3 made it all the way to the amulet and back down to about D23 before getting shoved into lava by a flying acidic jelly. I don’t know if this officially meets the criteria for the monkey challenge, but I’m personally counting it. The monkey was on D23 because I went back up to pick up gold and consumables that were left behind before I made my push for D40.

While I have always enjoyed jelly master builds, I had not come anywhere close to fully grasping their true power and utility before last week. 1.7 has introduced bloodworts and superior ally AI and has really opened the doors on making this a reliable and predictable build option for securing max lumenstones. I’m fairly confident that I can turn just about any seed with a wand of domination and either a staff of tunneling or a charm of shattering (all before D17?) into a max lumen run now. However, I am certain that I will never be willing to do it again with a staff of tunneling. This run took me over 16 hours to pull off and I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to continue enjoying this game for the foreseeable future. This ended up being the most mind-numbing and eye-straining gaming experience of my entire life. I believe that this would have taken less than 7 hours with a charm of shattering instead of the staff of tunneling based on a test run I made last week aiming for the Max Lumenstone Challenge.

EDIT: Sorry that this took so long. Recording here.
Last edited by ggoDeye on March 14th, 2013, 9:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
ggoDeye

Postby ggoDeye » March 11th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Loynis wrote:Escaped Dungeons of Doom with 6 lumestones! Score is 83207. Max depth reached - 29 (XPXP only).

...I never got back with lumestones before ...

Congratulations! It is such a great feeling to overcome something this complex and challenging.

Loynis wrote:At d16 I whacked a paralyzed troll and saw that my wand of domination, which I've forgotten of, has 100% chance to work. Next depth there was dar priestess captive, and things went much smoother.

This is interesting. I didn't find a captive dar priestess until D23, the same level we both found the captive dragon on. In fact, I didn't have any captive allies on D17 and a Naga on 18. I haven't looked at your recording yet, but I wonder if there are still slight differences in seeds depedending on platform. I played the majority on Win7 and finished on XP with no OOS.
ggoDeye

Postby Creaphis » March 11th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Wow. We can all stop playing Brogue now that ggoDeye has thoroughly slaughtered it forever.

Questions for ggoDeye:

-While you were hunting around for fresh dar priestess corpses, do you think you managed to exhaust the list of 100 dropped items? If so (and assuming no coin drops were missed or burned in lava) then you may actually have the highest score possible in this seed.

-Do you like the fact that it's possible to have a mind-numbing, eye-straining 16 hour game of Brogue, or would you welcome design changes that would eliminate that possibility?
Creaphis

Postby Pender » March 11th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Creaphis wrote:-Do you like the fact that it's possible to have a mind-numbing, eye-straining 16 hour game of Brogue, or would you welcome design changes that would eliminate that possibility?

Way to go for the kill here even before his keyboard has cooled off from that marathon triumph :)

ggodeye -- congrats. Unbelievable.

But I have the same question as Creaphis. What's the least restrictive change, in your opinion, that would prevent jellymaster builds from becoming a 25-lumenstone win button? I'm thinking about toward preventing jellies from absorbing abilities, but very curious to hear your thoughts.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Creaphis » March 11th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Pender wrote:But I have the same question as Creaphis. What's the least restrictive change, in your opinion, that would prevent jellymaster builds from becoming a 25-lumenstone win button? I'm thinking about toward preventing jellies from absorbing abilities, but very curious to hear your thoughts.

Well, my thinly-veiled jellymaster build prevention suggestion is already posted in the latest announcement thread. I'd be lying if I wasn't partially motivated by jealousy (not so much of ggoDeye's victory as of his superhuman focus) in trying to make such victories a smidgen harder, but I also don't think that ggoDeye or anyone else should have to endure that sort of gameplay experience on a regular basis. To make jellymaster builds slightly less optimal would be a merciful thing.

Pender wrote:I'm thinking about toward preventing jellies from absorbing abilities, but very curious to hear your thoughts.

Nah, keep the door open.
Creaphis

Postby Loynis » March 11th, 2013, 4:55 pm

ggoDeye wrote:This is interesting. I didn't find a captive dar priestess until D23, the same level we both found the captive dragon on. In fact, I didn't have any captive allies on D17 and a Naga on 18. I haven't looked at your recording yet, but I wonder if there are still slight differences in seeds depedending on platform. I played the majority on Win7 and finished on XP with no OOS.

My bad. Indeed, dar rpriestess captive appeared later. I dominated the one on d17. I just messed it up when posted, was too exited :)

And congratulations to you for your titanic achievment!
Loynis

Postby ggoDeye » March 11th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Creaphis wrote:Wow. We can all stop playing Brogue now that ggoDeye has thoroughly slaughtered it forever.

I'll be honest, I've been obsessively refreshing this page hoping for validation from you and Pender. Thank you.

Creaphis wrote:Questions for ggoDeye:

-While you were hunting around for fresh dar priestess corpses, do you think you managed to exhaust the list of 100 dropped items? If so (and assuming no coin drops were missed or burned in lava) then you may actually have the highest score possible in this seed.

Not even close. An hour without jellies might have gotten me half way through the list, but an hour with jellies is like 15 minutes of normal Brogue time.

Also, inventory space in a max win is worth exactly 155,000 which means that you found 152 more gold pieces than I did.

Creaphis wrote:-Do you like the fact that it's possible to have a mind-numbing, eye-straining 16 hour game of Brogue, or would you welcome design changes that would eliminate that possibility?

That is a great question and brings important others to mind. I hated over 8 hours of this run but suffered through it for the glory. I think this run was a very tedious edge case that I wouldn't worry about too much. I don't know of any other way to leverage mind-numbing grinding into something useful. I certainly wouldn't enjoy the temptation of this one again in a contest or for other cases being added in the future. I don't think that we'll ever see more than a couple in all of Brogue's future versions.

The other questions that this brought to mind are: Should Brogue allow for such extreme possibilities? If so, in what percentage of seeds and with what level of skill needed to pull it off? Grinding through the seed scummer for hours for the perfect item combo and 20+ enchants is one thing, but a wand of domination and a charm of shattering show up together with sufficient frequency to be a real problem for the Weekend Contest going forward. I have very strong feelings about this both ways. My greatest gaming pleasure comes from this game, specifically figuring out long term strategic synergies and then exploiting them to the fullest extent possible. This run was my finest example of this. I personally think that these possibilities should be made so infrequent that even the most experienced players often fail to recognize the necessary elements when presented with them. In other words, I want to be one of the few people in the world capable of it. :)

That being said, Pender has been systematically closing these sorts of exploits and I suspect that his goal is to ultimately make a game for which Cybermg is the perfect player. One in which tactical brilliance is rewarded over long term strategic plotting. I might be way off base here and mean no disrespect to anyone.

I worry that this run was my magnum opus and that Brogue will never give me this sense of exhilaration again. On the other hand I have almost no imagination and Pender is a freaking game design GENIUS. He very well might come up with some core game changes in the future that I could exploit. Also, Brogue has gained in popularity enough to have already drawn some very clever people who will likely start developing and maintaining additional variants. We already have one; we just need to popularize it. I think a contest might be the only way Andrew, and I certainly wouldn't be offended by it over lapping the mid week build contest.
Last edited by ggoDeye on March 11th, 2013, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby ggoDeye » March 11th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Pender wrote:ggodeye -- congrats. Unbelievable.

But I have the same question as Creaphis. What's the least restrictive change, in your opinion, that would prevent jellymaster builds from becoming a 25-lumenstone win button? I'm thinking about toward preventing jellies from absorbing abilities, but very curious to hear your thoughts.

AAAANNNNDDDDD validation from both. Damn that feels good.

I'm not great at this. Your suggestion would probably be the least impactful as it would only affect jellymaster builds and only a very small subset of Brogue players ever bother dominating jellies. On the other hand, I would love to still have jellymaster builds exist as the rarely discussed side shows they have been until now. Removing the learnable flag from a dar priestesses' healing could help a lot. You would have to have a +15 staff of healing or keep dar priestesses alive in the very deep dungeon which is almost impossible because they are always on the periphery of the jelly mass. Jellies might still be a win button for an ascension and a couple of lumenstones, but so are about 10 other builds.
Last edited by ggoDeye on March 11th, 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby indecisive » March 11th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Jellymaster does seem like a bit of an abusive case scenario, personally I think the best solution would be to only allow the primary jelly (the one originally dominated) to learn abilities / gain in strength through progression. BUT perhaps it could also be changed so that the 'original' jelly cannot die until all splinters have been killed, if the original would die it then absorbs the nearest splinter and regains the health from it, perhaps moving into the absorbed splinter's square. This is just off the top of my head though, I don't know how this would affect regular play.
indecisive

Postby butteredtoast » March 12th, 2013, 3:15 pm

sciolizer wrote:I learned that casting invisibility on a mirroring totem (thus making yourself invisible) will let you walk over the glyphs without being beckoned. Surprising, but helpful

That's cool, need to remember that.

Edit: LOL, should have read a little farther before posting, congrats on making the dungeon your ***** ggodeye!
butteredtoast

Postby Joshua Day » March 12th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Fantastic work, ggoDeye. (I always say your name "guh-guh-guh-GOD-EYE." It that more or less the intent?)

If we want to save you from this temptation in the future, it seems that amulet nutrition reform is the key. You'll still steamroll the dungeon, but with less time to recover the risk will be higher.
Joshua Day

Postby ggoDeye » March 12th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Joshua Day wrote:Fantastic work, ggoDeye. (I always say your name "guh-guh-guh-GOD-EYE." It that more or less the intent?)

If we want to save you from this temptation in the future, it seems that amulet nutrition reform is the key. You'll still steamroll the dungeon, but with less time to recover the risk will be higher.

Thank you, thank you.

You're close, just subtract the first 3 instances of "guh."

I have never been able to understand the amulet's current nutritional effects. Pender's suggestion of just generating random food for the way back up has always been my vision for it. However, this wouldn't prevent the current jelly situation. I was only so sloppy with making sure that the healing trait was well distributed because I knew that I could just go back up and get it again. If nutrition wasn't essentially infinite I would have made sure that it was nearly impossible for the healing trait to be removed from the jelly gene pool.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the solution is to just remove healing from the learnable trait list. I know that Creaphis recently had a run where it helped a lot, but I have never had another ally learn it besides jellies in my entire Brogue gaming experience. Pet pixies are the only common allies that have a decent chance of learning healing.
ggoDeye

Postby sciolizer » March 12th, 2013, 6:22 pm

indecisive wrote:
sciolizer wrote:I think I had all of the positive potions identified before I identified any of the negative potions. What are the odds of that? (Have the potions probabilities changed in 1.7, or was it just a lucky seed?)

Pretty good if one of the early positive potions is 'detect magic' :P

Good point. I think I came across 4 potions of detect magic, and I made liberal use of them since I was having such a hard time.
sciolizer

Postby Creaphis » March 12th, 2013, 6:58 pm

ggoDeye wrote:The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the solution is to just remove healing from the learnable trait list.

Boo!

ggoDeye wrote:I have never had another ally learn it besides jellies in my entire Brogue gaming experience. Pet pixies are the only common allies that have a decent chance of learning healing.

That's weird. Do all traits have an equal chance of being learned or are the odds weighted?
Creaphis

Re: [CLOSED] 54th Weekend Contest: 3/8 - 3/12 (S: 917428036)

Postby fugori » March 13th, 2013, 8:01 am

Holy hell.

Nice work, ggoDeye!

I've closed it out, and I'll work on the summary, etc. later. I've been sick since late Monday, mostly sleeping and hating life, but I'm almost back to my old chipper self. Expect results posted near 5PM EST. Spoiler alert - ggoDeye might be the winner.
fugori

Postby thedrin » March 13th, 2013, 9:19 am

Impressive.

Re: Jelly neuturing.

Would it be feasible to automatically negate the clones of jelly allies at birth? Just allies, not enemies. I'm assuming that the clones of jelly allies adopt their parents learned abilities and experience levels at birth, but I've never dominated a jelly and really don't know what I'm talking about.

Actually I just remembered that jelly splitting can be negated, so maybe negate everything except that ability.
thedrin

Postby ggoDeye » March 13th, 2013, 9:28 am

thedrin wrote:Impressive.

Re: Jelly neuturing.

Would it be feasible to automatically negate the clones of jelly allies at birth? Just allies, not enemies. I'm assuming that the clones of jelly allies adopt their parents learned abilities and experience levels at birth, but I've never dominated a jelly and really don't know what I'm talking about.

Actually I just remembered that jelly splitting can be negated, so maybe negate everything except that ability.

It doesn't feel right, but it would have less of an impact than what Pender and I proposed and would still allow jellies to be a useful end game build, but not a max lumenstone build.

I don't feel that any of these solutions are up to the high standards set by Pender. Everything feels too much like a hasty patch.
ggoDeye

Postby ggoDeye » March 13th, 2013, 9:32 am

Creaphis wrote:
ggoDeye wrote:The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that the solution is to just remove healing from the learnable trait list.

Boo!

ggoDeye wrote:I have never had another ally learn it besides jellies in my entire Brogue gaming experience. Pet pixies are the only common allies that have a decent chance of learning healing.

That's weird. Do all traits have an equal chance of being learned or are the odds weighted?

I don't understand the code which would give us the true answer. However, I've convinced myself that they have equal weightings but that I am chronically unlucky. This is why I don't play Risk. I once managed to roll enough 1&2's to lose after controlling 4 continents.
ggoDeye

Postby thedrin » March 13th, 2013, 9:44 am

I agree that it doesn't feel right. The lack of symmetry between enemy and ally mechanics feels off to me, but such things already exist. An ally with transference regains health at a slower rate than an enemy (or that certainly used to be the case). When enemy behaviour was changed so that enemies couldn't see through doors and dense foliage, allies kept that ability.

Edit: I don't think that the existence of non symmetric behaviour between allies and non-allies is license to create more. I'd certainly prefer a solution that maintains symmetry.

Second edit: Assuming a "solution" is required. Maybe it's not.

I'm also certain that I read somewhere on this board that allies are more likely to learn flight than transference from vampire bats.
Last edited by thedrin on March 13th, 2013, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedrin

Postby Creaphis » March 13th, 2013, 10:11 am

What's wrong with jellymasters being an effective build? Getting 25 lumenstones should be possible, and it's already possible with other builds as long as the player has the same skill and focus that ggoDeye demonstrated. I'm currently against all jelly nerfs aside from nutrition changes.
Creaphis

Postby ggoDeye » March 13th, 2013, 10:32 am

Creaphis wrote:What's wrong with jellymasters being an effective build? Getting 25 lumenstones should be possible, and it's already possible with other builds as long as the player has the same skill and focus that ggoDeye demonstrated. I'm currently against all jelly nerfs aside from nutrition changes.

While I appreciate the kind words, it doesn't take much focus or skill to run this with a +9 shattering charm. Try it, you'll be clearing levels faster than ever before. I think this issue is if 2 common items (wand of domination + shattering charm) should be a win button. The food nerf would not prevent this, but it would make it require a lot more skill because you would have to be certain to disperse healing through your army. This can be very challenging if you do not have the right staves and still tricky even if you do.
ggoDeye

Postby ggoDeye » March 13th, 2013, 10:39 am

thedrin wrote:I agree that it doesn't feel right. The lack of symmetry between enemy and ally mechanics feels off to me...

Thank you. I was too lazy to bother figuring out exactly what felt wrong about it, but this is it.
Last edited by ggoDeye on March 13th, 2013, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoDeye

Postby Creaphis » March 13th, 2013, 11:34 am

ggoDeye wrote:The food nerf would not prevent this, but it would make it require a lot more skill because you would have to be certain to disperse healing through your army. This can be very challenging if you do not have the right staves and still tricky even if you do.

Exactly. That's why I'm not worried.
Creaphis

Postby pente » March 13th, 2013, 1:04 pm

ggoDeye wrote:
Creaphis wrote:That's weird. Do all traits have an equal chance of being learned or are the odds weighted?

I don't understand the code which would give us the true answer. However, I've convinced myself that they have equal weightings but that I am chronically unlucky. This is why I don't play Risk. I once managed to roll enough 1&2's to lose after controlling 4 continents.

I just checked the code; it's uniform, each trait has equal chance.
pente

Postby ggoDeye » March 14th, 2013, 9:39 am

Creaphis wrote:
ggoDeye wrote:The food nerf would not prevent this, but it would make it require a lot more skill because you would have to be certain to disperse healing through your army. This can be very challenging if you do not have the right staves and still tricky even if you do.

Exactly. That's why I'm not worried.

Touche! I've thought about this some more and you're right. I think this change would lead to the most anti-climatic moments in all of my gaming experience.

Imagine cruising around with your jellies and 1-3 healers and you're feeling great. You've just conquered the world. It's D29 and you just flattened the whole level. Now its D32 and a mixed horde of 10+ golems and dragons somehow manages to kill all of your healing jellies because you were already at the 100 jelly limit and you couldn't figure out how to get them distributed and were lazy because you thought you were king of the world. You don't have the resources to wait for dar priestess to spawn and hope you can press on and get lucky deeper. You watch the average health of individual jellies decrease over the next level and by D34 you horde has dwindled substantially. You press on because you are convinced that one of your jellies will learn healing before you lose too many to recover. Finally you see a dar priestess, you watch a jelly feed... and negation! You've pressed too far and now you will get killed by a dragon or starve to death.

I guarentee that this change will lead to me writing curse filled rants that don't have much to do with reality. I apologize in advance.
ggoDeye

Postby fugori » March 14th, 2013, 6:44 pm

posting remaining reddit entries in prep for collecting the final score list

ghiacciato 784 level 6 vampire bat
ooo27 ? level 6 vampire bat
stevelosh ? level 12 violent explosion
smaug13 ? level 6 vampire bat
mirth23 ? level 3 pink jelly
fugori

Re: [COMPLETE] 54th Weekend Contest: 3/8 - 3/12 (S: 91742803

Postby fugori » March 14th, 2013, 7:31 pm

The contest is complete and results have been posted.

I don't think our simple contest summaries can possibly do justice to the thorough thumping ggoDeye gave to this seed, so I tried to summarize the accomplishments as best, and as briefly, as I could. From there, I'll let ggoDeye's post speak for itself, because it's pretty amazing.

ggoDeye - this puts you at a tie for second in the all-time win list with mikeym!

The wiki has been updated to include your victory. Congratulations again!
fugori

Return to Brogue General Discussion