NEWS:

[CLOSED] 19th Build Contest; Staff of Healing; S: 6269022

Discuss Brogue -- strategy, feature requests, discoveries, character builds...

[CLOSED] 19th Build Contest; Staff of Healing; S: 6269022

Postby thedrin » May 14th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Please post all questions here: mid-week-build-contest-discussion-t607.html

Welcome to the midweek build contest! The primary objective of these weekly contests is to improve the knowledge & skill of players with under utilized (or new content) items in the hopes of making us all better players.

SEED: 6269022

GUARANTEED ITEMS
Item 1: staff of healing [4/4]
Item 1 will be generated by: Level 7
Is item 1 in a vault?: Yes, but not in a nested vault.
Scrolls of enchantment required for item 1: 6

Ally: Ogre
Is held captive in the first 7 levels.

RESTRICTED ITEMS
No restrictions this week.

RULES:
- For each guaranteed item there is a minimum number of enchants required. In order for your run to be considered eligible for the contest, you must use the required number of scrolls of enchantment on each of the guaranteed items. In total you will be required to use 6 enchants. This is about half of the enchants in a stingy seed and a third in a generous seed.

- Some (but not all) contests will place restrictions on what items you can use. In order for your run to be considered eligible for the contest you need to adhere to these restrictions.

- The winner gets to specify the item or items that we will focus on in the next build, and how 6 scrolls of enchantment must be spent among those items.

-The seed will be picked by Patashu's Seed Scummer. Per the default settings, the primary item will be found by D2 if only one object is specified, and D7 if two objects or more are specified. Thank you Patashu for this wonderful, well maintained tool.

How to compete:
1. The contest begins right now. You can start your game any time after this. The contest is open to anyone.

2. Start a game by control-clicking "New Game" in Brogue v1.7.2 and entering the seed. Alternatively, if you are playing on an IPad, select the "seed" icon from the main menu.

3. Read the rules above for enchant requirements.

4. Play through the game. You only get one chance. We are all on the honor system here.

5. Once you are finished, record your score and post the details of your game in this thread. Minimum requirements for consideration include your score, cause of death and how you spent your scrolls of enchanting. However, the thread is open to all spoilers, so feel free to add screenshots, game recordings, character dumps, strategy tips, etc. You do not need to wait for the end of the contest.

6. The contest will run from now until Friday, May 17th at 2013 at 21:00 UTC (4:00 PM EST). You must finish your game and post your results by that time to be considered in the contest.

7. As a result of point 4,

PLEASE DO NOT READ THE REST OF THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL YOUR RUN IS FINISHED.

As always, honor system.

Good luck! Have fun, etc.
Last edited by thedrin on May 17th, 2013, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedrin

Re: 19th Build Contest; Staff of Healing; S: 6269022

Postby cbet » May 14th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Wow, this is a great seed to play an ally build. I'm down to depth 14 so far (still going) and just narrowly avoided losing my entire team to some horrible traps there. Adjacent confusion+poison and paralysis+poison and a few bloats thrown in on top.

I wouldn't have saved them it I hadn't just watched Creaphis' recording from contest 63 where he set fire to a confusion cloud he was standing in to prevent all his allies getting confused. I thought I was done when my confused ogre stepped onto a poison trap but since he was also on fire, we were saved. I really love this game.

edit: Well, I died shortly after on depth 17 to what seemed like the entire depth attacking at once. I should have been more cautious after my trigger happy ogre started firing lightning all over the level.

Is there any way to prevent allies suiciding into sentinels? I used obstruction to get away from a bog monster and a couple of my ogres went the long way around and died in the sentinel room.
cbet

Postby fugori » May 15th, 2013, 12:41 am

99363 Escaped the Dungeons of Doom with 8 lumenstones!

Missed one on 28 or 29 in some weird corner. Went upstairs to stash the remainder and a dragon killed my super-ogre during the trip, so I chickened out and decided to cut and run. Very strong seed for allies, so I can't imagine this will rank highly, especially since I made some poor decisions regarding ally learning despite doing a fairly good job of keeping the important allies alive.

I let the chain of reflection get degraded to -6 or -7 (not on purpose at first, though once it hit 0 I gave up - lots of acid turrets in this seed!).

end gear:
+1 dagger of slowing
plate armor
firebolt 2
lightning 10 // 7 enchants
obstruction 3
haste 3
tunneling 3
healing 10 // 6 enchants
conjuration 2
lightning 2
2 x wands of negation
+3 ring of wisdom // 1 enchant, I think
+3 ring of light
+1 charm of shattering

surviving allies:
haste-casting, protection-casting, fire-immune dar blademaster
blinking, flying, invisible dar priestess

rip:
strength-sapping, fire-immune, blinking, reflecting ogre

I think 10 healing was a waste with this seed and ally selection. It shines with jellies, revenants, phantoms, phoenixes, and seeds with no support allies. All the healing my group needed was supplied by my priestess, and I found a second one as well. 4/4 by itself probably would have been sufficient.

Had I been more patient I would have loitered around for vampire bats early to groom the ogre better. Healing in combination with the transference glitch would be nice. Of course, I also mistakenly allowed my ogre to learn reflection, which led to some wasted heal attempts, though it was more of a nuisance than a huge problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/742 ... .broguerec
Last edited by fugori on May 15th, 2013, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
fugori

Postby thedrin » May 15th, 2013, 1:41 am

Computer crash on level 11.

I think 10 healing was a waste with this seed and ally selection. It shines with jellies, revenants, phantoms, phoenixes, and seeds with no support allies. All the healing my group needed was supplied by my priestess, and I found a second one as well. 4/4 by itself probably would have been sufficient.

I agree with this. There would be seeds where it would be very good, but this one was too generous in certain respects.
thedrin

Postby element42 » May 15th, 2013, 11:35 am

Burned to death on d11 in a will-o-the-wisp fiasco. Previously lost my Naga and Ogre to a goblin totem/gas trap omnishambles.
element42

Postby BohemianCoast » May 15th, 2013, 12:41 pm

OK, well, that's embarrassing. Thought I'd found ogre on D7 and missed the item vault. Backtracked very carefully looking for it. Suddenly realised ogre was on D6. Starved to death. Still hadn't definitely found the staff.

That might be my stupidest death yet, which is saying something.

2287 Starved to death on level 7.
BohemianCoast

Postby Loynis » May 15th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Ascension, 63493 score, max depth 26.

Recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sefhfauqoxmr ... .broguerec

Final gear:

+1 dagger of slowing
+2 chain of reflection
+4 ring of light (+1)
+2 ring of wisdom
---------------
+10 staff of healing (+6)
+7 staff of lightning (+4)
+4 staff of obstriction (+1)
+4 staff of haste (+1)
+4 staff of tunneling (+1)
2x +2 staves of firebolt
+2 staff of lightning

Total: 15 enchants

I was disappointed with the seed when I had dar priestess early on and then my naga learned healing too.

Then my party was ambushed by dars who discorded several allies, and I decided to make things harder for me and used a scroll of negation. Suddenly the game became challenging! The dungeon slowly took my allies away thru its hideous means (mostly steamvents - I now really hate them). I freed a golem and kept it alive all the way to the amulet, until it got negated on the way back.

I reached the level 26 with only plain ogre who got negated several times and the golem. My best offence was +7 lightning which was pathetic at this depth. But the combo of healing, haste and ring of wisdom allowed me to clear the level.

I could have tried to teach vamprirsim to the ogre and transform it into a serial killer, but had no desire to. Instead, I just went out with the amulet. At least this ascension felt like a challenge.

EDIT: Added recording+grammar. I somehow keep forgetting doing it right away.
Last edited by Loynis on May 17th, 2013, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loynis

Postby fugori » May 15th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Loynis wrote:I could have tried to teach vamprirsim to an ogre and transform it into serial killer, but had no desire to. Instead, I just went out with an amulet. At least this ascension felt like a challenge.

Question: is vampirism/transference on allies what catapults you from difficult ascension to easy lumenstone run?
fugori

Postby Creaphis » May 15th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I've gotten my Brogue fix this week so I just cruised through the first levels to try out the seed. I don't think I've ever enchanted a staff of healing past level 4 outside of emergencies, and even without an early dar priestess I think it's thoroughly unnecessary to do so. I like Loynis' self-imposed challenge. Maybe "no allies with powers that can be negated" would have been the right secondary condition for this contest.

fugori wrote:Question: is vampirism/transference on allies what catapults you from difficult ascension to easy lumenstone run?

I've been wondering about this, particularly whether I still could have done what I did in the 63rd weekend contest without transference abuse. Occasionally one of my infinite-health trolls would get stuck at the end of a hallway with three dragons bombarding him from outside the door and he tanked it all without flinching. Without transference you need something to avoid those situations where a single ally is going to get teamed up on and slaughtered, but there are solutions. You can reshape the battlefield with tunneling/obstruction, you could reduce the dungeon's threat with a highly-enchanted negation charm and "negatable" allies (like tentacle horrors), or you could just get really lucky and find an armour of dragon immunity, then tank all those fights yourself. None of these things were options in that seed, though, so I likely would have had to turn tail and run a bit sooner.
Creaphis

Postby ooo27 » May 15th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Skipped this challenge. Didn't think a +10 healing staff was compelling enough to invest hours of play. Seed sounds fun though, I might play it without restrictions.
ooo27

Postby Loynis » May 16th, 2013, 2:01 pm

fugori wrote:
Loynis wrote:I could have tried to teach vamprirsim to an ogre and transform it into serial killer, but had no desire to. Instead, I just went out with an amulet. At least this ascension felt like a challenge.

Question: is vampirism/transference on allies what catapults you from difficult ascension to easy lumenstone run?

I meant this particular run. All I had were an ogre and +10 healing staff. Ogre could stand 3 hits from dragon/horror, so with me healing it could deal with lone monster. Dragon/horror packs begin to appear at 27, and the first pack would have wiped me. Now, if an ogre had 2k HP that would be a different game because staff fully heals the ogre all the time.

I doubt I would took 10+ lumens this way, but up to six could be done (I had two negation wands with like 12 charges in total). But that would be sloooooow and honestly a bug abuse.
Loynis

Postby Oak » May 16th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I faulted when I found the ogre. I thought I could throw a potion of fire-immunity onto the chained ogre and light the grassy area around it on fire, dispatching with the group of goblins with ease. When I did that I fried everything to a crisp..including the ogre. Haha whoops. Maybe ill just start over and try again.
Oak

Postby Xabozm » May 17th, 2013, 5:27 am

15213 Killed by a cloud of scalding steam on level 19.

If I hadn't just witnessed my strongest ally get killed a turn or two earlier, I may have noticed I was standing next to a steam went with next to nothing health. The run was pretty much over anyway. Many mistakes were made: losing two allies to confusion gas, accidentally burning an enchanting scroll when trying to get rid of some poison gas, later getting more allies killed... It's pretty easy to hang in there, though, when you a healing staff and two strong allies.
Xabozm

Postby jokeLA » May 17th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Ascended with 56382 points! Max depth 27.

This was my second ever ascension, first in a contest. There was a toxic golem on D27 or I would've gotten some lumenstones as well. I eventually took him down by dragging him up a couple levels and burning grass around him, but it took forever and I didn't want to push my luck so just continued up.

This run became less of a staff of healing build and more of a "wisdom + all the staves + allies = easy mode". I agree the 10/10 on the staff was overkill - its main use was to keep my vampiric naga topped off for transference abuse to make him a tank. I'm glad I have now experienced that bug but I hope it gets fixed because it does feel like cheating. Also taught some allies reflection so I could heal myself with the staff too which was nice (but, having a priestess also, kind of redundant).

Thoughts:
Man, toxic golems are ANNOYING!
The late dungeon would be a real pain if it weren't for tunneling to take care of turrets.
On top of that, having awareness and a negation wand make for a huge safety net.
Most fun moment: negated a dragon next to lava, then tossed him a confusion potion and watched him burn up.
Ring of wisdom, even at +4, makes me feel like a badass wizard.
Honestly though I think my MVP-item was obstruction. This was my first time using it extensively and it's amazing for saving allies from discord and confusion!

Gear:
+3 dagger of slowing (2 enchants)
+1 plate armor (2 enchants, 1 acid hit)
+4 ring of wisdom (2 enchants)
+2 ring of awareness
+3 ring of light
2/2 staff of firebolt (x2)
5/5 staff of lightning (2 enchants)
3/3 staff of obstruction
3/3 staff of tunneling
10/10 staff of healing (6 enchants)
3/3 staff of haste
wands of negation (x2)

14 enchants, 8 strength potions, 4? life potions, 4 scrolls of recharging used

Notable Allies:
- vampiric flying discord-casting naga (negated, but after having enough health to be unstoppable)
- fire-immune reflecting dar priestess
- reflecting dar blademaster
- golem

Can someone clarify how reflection works on monsters? When I'd cast healing or haste on a reflective ally it seemed to affect them about half the time. So I spent an entire wand of negation (at least 6 charges) on the hostile toxic golem, and they all bounced off. (Obstruction did too, but for that you can just fire next to him.) Is it only helpful spells that have a chance of not being reflected? Or is it that allies reflect only sometimes and enemies reflect 100%? Or was I just unlucky?

Would a scroll/charm of negation destroy a golem, since it's an area-of-effect instead of a bolt?
jokeLA

Postby fugori » May 17th, 2013, 1:27 pm

jokeLA wrote:Can someone clarify how reflection works on monsters? When I'd cast healing or haste on a reflective ally it seemed to affect them about half the time. So I spent an entire wand of negation (at least 6 charges) on the hostile toxic golem, and they all bounced off. (Obstruction did too, but for that you can just fire next to him.) Is it only helpful spells that have a chance of not being reflected? Or is it that allies reflect only sometimes and enemies reflect 100%? Or was I just unlucky?

Would a scroll/charm of negation destroy a golem, since it's an area-of-effect instead of a bolt?

Reflection is a roll of the dice, so I think you just got unlucky in this instance. I've used wands of negation to kill golems before. It's not ideal, since you can fail several times in a row, but against a toxic golem it's worth the risk. I think I did it once or twice in this play through actually.
fugori

Postby thedrin » May 17th, 2013, 11:51 pm

The contest is now closed. Congratulations to fugori who managed to ascend with 8 lumenstones.
thedrin

Re: [CLOSED] 19th Build Contest; Staff of Healing; S: 626902

Postby mirth23 » May 20th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Late entry for the record: 10288, killed by a phantom on level 17.

The game was generally going well for me with a stable of allies helped by healing (a transferring Naga, a sapping Ogre, and one of each vanilla Troll/Ogre/priestess) but I got caught by a phantom out on a bridge. I should have probably jumped to the next level down to avoid it but instead I tried some dumb tactics and it got me. Putting that many charges into healing seemed like overkill, especially since I had a ring of wisdom that I would have preferred to enchant so that I could get more uses out of my impressive array of staffs.
mirth23

Return to Brogue General Discussion