NEWS:

[COMPLETED] 88th Weekend Contest: 11/2 - 11/4 (Seed 466417)

Discuss Brogue -- strategy, feature requests, discoveries, character builds...

[COMPLETED] 88th Weekend Contest: 11/2 - 11/4 (Seed 466417)

Postby Loynis » November 2nd, 2013, 12:48 am

Hello everyone, and welcome to the 88th Brogue Weekend Contest!

The seed for this contest, created by a toxic pixie, is 466417.

How to compete:

1. The contest begins right now, on Saturday November 2nd, 2013 at the time this message is posted. You can start your game any time after this. The contest is open to anyone.

2. Start a game by control-clicking "New Game" in Brogue v1.7.3 and entering the seed. Verify that the screenshot below matches what you see on your screen.

3. Play through the game. You only get one chance. We are all on the honor system here.

4. Once you are finished, record your score and post the details of your game in this thread. Minimum requirements for consideration include your score, cause of death and lowest level reached. However, the thread is open to all spoilers, so feel free to add screenshots, game recordings, character dumps, strategy tips, etc. You do not need to wait for the end of the contest.

5. The contest will run for approximately 72 hours (three whole days) and ends on Monday November 4th, 2013 at 23:00 UTC (6:00 PM EST). You must finish your game and post your results by that time to be considered in the contest.

6. As a result of point 4,

PLEASE DO NOT READ THE REST OF THE POSTS IN THIS THREAD UNTIL YOUR RUN IS FINISHED.

As always, honor system.

7. Good luck! Have fun, etc.
Last edited by Loynis on November 11th, 2013, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loynis

Re: 88th Weekend Contest: 11/2 - 11/4 (Seed 466417)

Postby Loynis » November 2nd, 2013, 12:54 am

Results:

No ascensions again.

Congratulations to brogen who got ahead with more than triple score advantage! Here it goes to wiki.

Code: Select all
==============      =========  =========  ==================================
  Contestant          Score      Depth         Cause of death / Victory     
brogen              14198      19         Killed by an explosion
tinyrodent          4221       11         Starved to death
mirth23             4036       10         Killed by a vampire bat
Bluehorn            3493       9          Killed by a scroll of summon monsters
Loynis              1316       7          Killed by a vampire bat
no_signal           1121       7          Killed by a spectral blade
sime                500        7          Killed by goblins
Creaphis            500        5          Killed by eels
ruddyadam           491        6          Killed by a goblin
monkey              482        5          Killed by a pink jelly
Towercap            335        5          Killed by a pink jelly
Cybermg             331        6          Killed by a goblin totem
Franny              300        5          Killed by an eel
afrossen            175        5          Killed by a fall from a pit bloat
Kashmir             173        5          Killed by a goblin
Yindiar             79         5          Killed by a cursed mace
sealbhach           ?          5          Killed by a pink jelly
quarague            ?          5          Killed by a pink jelly

Last edited by Loynis on November 11th, 2013, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loynis

Postby sime » November 2nd, 2013, 4:15 am

Got into trouble against goblins falling 2 levels into D7, about 500 gold.
sime

Postby Towercap » November 2nd, 2013, 4:26 am

First time participating. Brogue newbie. Loving the game to bits.

Killed by a pink jelly on depth 5 with 335 gold.
Towercap

Postby Kashmir » November 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm

Glad I not the only one^^

After much trouble in Monkeyland on D2, I haven't searched enought for safe ground on D3, so fell on D4. There I ignored a pit bloat and fell on D5, where I oversleept a goblin, which killed me after I ran behind a door. All that humilation for 173 Bucks...
Kashmir

Postby Yindyar » November 2nd, 2013, 12:30 pm

Friggin depth 5, I died immediately on depth 2 after I equipped the mace. With 79 gold. That was by far the nastiest seed I've ever played on. Noobies wouldnt notice the subtle things like how many turns you waste for nothing. Both weapons are friggen cursed. And a -3 mace of mercy is just horrible. I guess not all seeds are created equal.
Yindyar

Postby sealbhach » November 2nd, 2013, 3:43 pm

Depth 5. Equipped the cursed weapon, got stung by eels then died by Jelly on level5. I forgot to look at how much gold I got.

sealbhach

Postby mirth23 » November 2nd, 2013, 5:05 pm

died to a vampire bat on level 10, 4036 gold

Discord + regen kept me barely alive for a while. I took advantage of my charms to improve my mobility over pits and lava, which kept some early ogres out of my hair. My proudest moment was when I used the fire immunity charm plus an incineration potion to take out an ogre and several bats at once when I got cornered on D7 or so. I finally died when I got confused after I quaff-ided hallucination. I ran across a swarm of vampire bats, fell down a level into a second cloud of bats, then was turned into a man-sized juicebox for flying rodents. In retrospect, I should have gone back up to try to negate the cursed mace before proceeding further. Picking and enchanting the broadsword over regen might have also been a good move in this rather stingy seed; I didn't consider it since I saw it was +0.

TIL guardian charms make bog monsters flee, which also causes them to release you.

gear: +0 dagger, +0 chain, +7 ring of regen [4 enchants]
staffs: discord 4 [1 enchant], poison 2
wands: empower [1], beckon [2] (unided), teleport [5] (unided)
charms: +1 protection, +1 guardian, +2 fire immune, +2 levitation, +1 levitation
on deck: +0 war pike, +1 splint
mirth23

Postby Blueheron » November 2nd, 2013, 9:07 pm

Died to a mistaken read of summon monsters on L9 after exploring the whole level and finding myself cornered by too many, too strong. 3493 gold. Thought I had ID both neg scrolls; wrong! It was a poor seed for equip. I waited a long time for detect magic bc I didn't trust that damn mace. I see now it was cursed. Instead I enchanted a war pike over time, and finally got to use it. Good weapon.
Blueheron

Postby Loynis » November 3rd, 2013, 5:58 am

Oops, there was a tough one.

Killed on d7 by vampire bat, 1316 gold.

I gambled with unided gear when I saw bats and lost twice. I equipped a cursed chain and a cursed warpike, choosing them over normal weapons. I was going to pump 4 enchants into warpike if it were normal, instead I experimented with guardian charm. Well, the fact that the monsters flee from it, make it hard to use. I spend lot of the time fighting those bats, drained my discord staff, and when I was finally out of options, two bats finished me off.
Loynis

Postby tinyrodent » November 3rd, 2013, 10:01 am

4221 Starved to death on depth 11.

Had to take things slowly at first as there was no detect magic, no vault weapon, and no offensive staff. Finally found a broadsword in the vault on depth 7 and immediately enchanted it to +4, making most of the mid game threats trivial. Unfortunately I must have spent too much time looking for secret rooms where there weren't any, and starved. Again. :roll: Looking at the replay, I could have easily reached the food ration on depth 11 if only I had explored in the right direction...
tinyrodent

Postby monkey » November 3rd, 2013, 10:50 am

482 Surrounded by jellies on depth 5. I took the healing staff from the vault a few levels above and was doing fairly well with a monkey ally, but we got separated and he divided up a jelly and died before I could heal him. Didn't have a lot of fun today!
monkey

Postby Cybermg » November 3rd, 2013, 4:46 pm

Totem lightening, D6, 331.

Got stuck with low health and spent the rest of my time evading threats and not really finding a good place to rest. I don't know if it's just me, but the early game seems way harder in 1.7.3. Looking at games I've played, I can't even reliably make it to D7 anymore...maybe I'm just really out of practice.
Cybermg

Postby Creaphis » November 3rd, 2013, 10:21 pm

Died on D:5 (after retreating up from D:6) with about 500 gold. I wanted to start identifying gear and ended up stuck with the -3 chain and -3 mace of mercy. I died after levitating into a lake to escape some jellies and I spent a few too many turns getting free kills on eels when I should have just headed back to dry land. I could have survived by enchanting my protection charm, probably my best late-game item at the time.

I chose the haste staff from the first vault on D:3 for the synergy with the guardian charm. It actually worked out - the haste bolt came right back to me each time I bounced it off him.

I found it refreshing not having to worry about keeping the monkey on D:2 alive, now that they don't have much late-game potential. Instead, I kept him around to do 1-3 damage per turn against the first few goblins and then let him die when he wanted. Keeping a monkey with base stats alive all the way to the amulet and back would be a serious challenge, much harder than the bloat challenge in 1.7.2 and frankly I'm not interested anymore.

Cybermg wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but the early game seems way harder in 1.7.3. Looking at games I've played, I can't even reliably make it to D7 anymore...maybe I'm just really out of practice.

I can pinpoint the exact time my skill at this game started to wane - it's when I won a contest game with a mastery. That's the moment that I accomplished pretty much everything I set out to do. Since then I haven't played a single game with the same level of focus and determination. I just cruise through and hope for good luck.
Creaphis

Postby brogen » November 4th, 2013, 3:01 am

14198 Died in an explosion. d19
Didn't even know what happened until I watched the recording. Bogs + flame turrets are bad news.

I was stuck with my starting gear (basically) until the end of d7 when I finally found Detect Magic, and some good armor. I had to pull out all my dirty tricks just to survive that far. Along with a liberal helping of the Z key. I wonder if it wouldn't have been worth the risk of use-id.

Unsurprisingly, I was running way behind on the food clock for the whole game.
d11 Missed a ration because it was hidden amidst a sea of nets. :cry: Sharing a symbol with webs was fine, but the right lighting can make food and nets look almost identical. I only noticed in the replay.
d14 I was starving and down to 1/3 health when I finally found the next ration. close

This was the first game where I made heavy use of some of my epiphanies from last week. Namely, throwing items down holes to keep my working inventory free, and jumping down holes when it was too far to walk to the down stairs. Without these, I would have starved to death well before d14.

And I discovered a cool trick. Find hidden rooms by dropping items into the right area from above. Soft-id'd items are preferred, since they show up even when you can't see them directly.
brogen

Postby quarague » November 4th, 2013, 5:27 am

killed by a pink jelly on d5, looks like that was a fairly common way to go. Monkey died to the first eel we encountered (is there any way to tell allies not to fight them?) Equipped a chain mail and good the uncursed one but didn't try any of the weapons, looks like I made a good guess. Loads of charms in this seed.
quarague

Postby no_signal » November 4th, 2013, 4:24 pm

First comp in a long while! Killed by a Spectral Blade on Level 7, 1121 gold. Save.

Got killed by a goblin conjurer stepping on a paralysis trap, paralysing me but not his blades. I'm not 100% sure how I could have escaped that situation; I did have a staff of discord I could have used on him to set his blades against him and keep him still. Unfortunately, although I realised I was in a lot of trouble, I didn't realise just quite how much, and didn't go through my inventory line-by-line to work out what might save me.

Pretty harsh seed. I spent a lot of time resting to heal up so probably would've starved eventually anyway. I haven't played enough 1.7.3 to know how to use guardian charms. I ended up dumping most of my enchants into the protection charm (bar 1 I had to use to get that -3 chain mail I use-ID'd off me), but it wasn't enough to make a dent. If I hadn't died then, I wouldn't have made it much longer — one encounter with an Ogre or a big goblin pack would have been the end of me.
no_signal

Postby ruddyadam » November 4th, 2013, 6:06 pm

death by goblin on D6, score: 491, wearing a +1 chain mail. My dying move was an attempt to enchant another use into my staff of discord, in hopes the goblin would miss me. He apparently had better aim than i gave him credit for. All in all, an average run for me, i never seem to make it very far :D.

BUT had a couple fun/exciting things happen. Early on I did run away from a rat (directly next to me) and a kobold a few spaces behind, when I had only 10% health, and saved myself by running into some bloodwort 3 undiscovered rooms away. That was quite exciting! :D Another bit of entertainment was watching a discordant Jelly massacre itself. Never saw it multiply so fast! The protection and guardian charms were lifesavers as well, for as along as I had them. So, thanks for the challenge, look forward to the next one!
ruddyadam

Postby afrossen » November 5th, 2013, 7:48 am

Died lvl5 after a fall due to pit bloat score a mere 175
Stuggled after equipping the cursed mace, finally hit a pit bloat while hallucinating.
afrossen

Postby Franny » November 5th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Died on D:5 ....I died after levitating into a lake to escape some jellies and I spent a few too many turns getting free kills on eels when I should have just headed back to dry land. I could have survived by enchanting my protection charm, probably my best late-game item at the time.

snap -- in my case, add the fact that I was confused when fighting the jellies, so ended up in the water accidentally. Used levitation to avoid the eels, but when it ran out, stupidly headed back to the shore where the jellies were waiting. Was killed by an eel, but it was because the jelly sunbathing on the lake didn't allow this rogue to get back to dry land.

probably only 300 some gold,
Franny

Re: [COMPLETED] 88th Weekend Contest: 11/2 - 11/4 (Seed 4664

Postby Loynis » November 11th, 2013, 5:17 am

The results have been posted. Congratulations to Brogen!
Loynis

Return to Brogue General Discussion