NEWS:

Weekend Contest?

Discuss Brogue -- strategy, feature requests, discoveries, character builds...

Weekend Contest?

Postby mikeym » March 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm

Now that we have the ability to generate dungeons based on specific seeds, I thought we could try a contest? Everyone will start a game based on the same specific seed, and the person with the highest endgame score is the winner.

Here's how I propose we do it:

1. The contest begins Today, March 2nd, at 5:00 PM EST. You can start at any time after this.

2. [*]The seed for the game will be the 7-digit number generated by the Friday close of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to two decimal points. So for example if the Dow were to close at 12,943.12, the seed would be #1294312.
[Get the number here: http://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXDJX:.DJI ]

UPDATE: The seed for this game is 1297757

3. Start a game by control-clicking "New Game" in Brogue v1.6.2. Enter the seed.

4. Play through the game. You only get one chance.

5. The contest ends on Monday, March 5th at 12:00 AM EST (the cruel hour when Sunday turns to Monday.)

6. Again, only play through once. When your game is over, save your recording with your final score. Please do not share information about the run until after the contest is over. Please do not play multiple times, abuse the savefile, etc. Of course, there is no enforcement mechanism for any of this, so we'll play on the honor system.

Sound good? Comments, modifications?

UPDATE: This contest is now over. Go ahead and post your score, your games your discussions of strategy, and anything else.
Last edited by mikeym on March 5th, 2012, 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
mikeym

Re: Weekend Contest?

Postby Joshua Day » March 2nd, 2012, 2:18 pm

This sounds great! I hope that everyone that can find the time will give it a try.

[edit] I'm in. I've started -- and I've come terrifyingly close to a few stupid deaths already. Others who join, tell us that you're in!
[edit] Might as well state that I died on dlvl 13, and that it was my fault four times over.
Last edited by Joshua Day on March 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Day

Postby Porpentine » March 2nd, 2012, 6:48 pm

I have just begun my heroic journey. I anticipate reporting back shortly with a horrible, untimely death.

edit: died on level 6 whoohoo.
Porpentine

Postby dangerdonkey » March 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm

Great idea mikeym!

I also died on depth six! I hope that's not revealing too much. I can't wait to see everyone's games on Monday.
dangerdonkey

Postby ruddyadam » March 2nd, 2012, 11:11 pm

Died on lv2 BOOOOOOO! D: Although, in retrospect, it was more of a suicide. I attempted unthinkingly to test out potions while on low health and a bottle of pink gas killed me.

Update: sadface

Also, this is a great idea! I would love to see one every weekend! And I like the one playthrough rule. Keeps the permadeath perma.
Last edited by ruddyadam on March 5th, 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ruddyadam

Postby Karuku » March 3rd, 2012, 2:30 am

I'm down.

*EDIT*

For this. Not dead--Yet. Heh.
Karuku

Postby Furox » March 3rd, 2012, 9:04 am

Trolled on l14 :(
Furox

Postby mmm » March 3rd, 2012, 10:20 am

I died on level 1 because I did something really stupid. Shit. I was really hoping to impress you guys.
mmm

Postby boa13 » March 3rd, 2012, 10:38 am

Bah. Stupid death on level 3. :(
boa13

Postby Nillo » March 3rd, 2012, 12:50 pm

I will try this contest as well. I'll let you know on what dungeon level my character met his gruesome death later tonight. :P

Edit: My character has now died. Burned to death on level 19, with 14461 total points. I'll post more about my thoughts on it later.
Nillo

Postby Guitar » March 4th, 2012, 12:38 am

Made it to lvl 15 and then met a most unfortunate death...
Guitar

Postby peter_leon » March 4th, 2012, 1:58 pm

529 - Killed by Pink Jelly on Level 4
stupid death as usual - :wink:
Great fun anyway. Hope there will be another contest next week :D
regards
peter
peter_leon

Postby Moniker » March 4th, 2012, 2:49 pm

631 - killed by an ogre on level 6.
Moniker

Postby caseld » March 4th, 2012, 4:39 pm

5282 - Killed by an eel on level 11.

Edit: Err, right, no info yet :o
caseld

Postby Pender » March 4th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I was hoping someone would propose a challenge like this! It was an extremely interesting seed, and great fun. Made it down to depth 15, 8972 gold, killed by an ogre in a conflagration of burning zombie gas. It was a really, really promising character, but I made a fatal mistake... oh well. I bet we'll see some ascensions.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby xavi » March 4th, 2012, 7:09 pm

8230 Killed by a wraith on level 15

Maybe I post too late

Definitively 1.6.2 is more difficult.
xavi

Postby mikeym » March 5th, 2012, 12:00 am

The contest is now over. Hopefully we've all finished our games. Go ahead and post the details of your run!

Here is my uninspiring journey all the way to depth 8 :

http://www.filedropper.com/contest

I found this a hard one, with no synergy between the items available (i.e., war hammers but no plate armor, leather armor of mutuality but no axe, +3 rings of wisdom but no staff...) As a result I kept putting off using my Scrolls of Enchantment, waiting for something better. I hoped that picking up the enslaved Ogres would allow me to push this decision off until much further...

Until I ran into a centipede! With the changes in v1.6.2 those suckers are hard! Your allies will degrade their offensive capacity to zero if you don't get to it first. I died, humiliatingly, stuck in a spider web, with four unused Scrolls of Enchantment in my pack.

I hereby cede the title of "best Brogue player alive." Right now, the highest scoring player to post in the thread is Nillo, with 14461 points. Did anyone do better? Did anyone win?

(BTW, I quit the game in frustration without checking my score... is there a way to get it from the recording?)
mikeym

Postby danharaj » March 5th, 2012, 12:44 am

Unfortunately I have not yet finished my game. I started this contest way too late. Currently on level 17. Too bad I'm not in the running!

Edit: Died on level 19 to a pack of furies and wraiths with 10048 points.
danharaj

Postby caseld » March 5th, 2012, 1:04 am

What a fun run! It started out horribly when I--while exploring the new menu--fat-finger-equipped the scale mail at the _very beginning of the dungeon_... but it was non-cursed! talk about dodging bullets...

on the first puzzle-room floor, I thought I had enough pots and scrolls to try out some of the gear in the first room, and recover if it was cursed. I put on the CV ring--cursed. Well, i was committed at that point. Put on the biggest armor & weapon I had (war spear and ?banded? mail) b/c I was going to burn scrolls, and didn't want to waste a protect armor or protect weapon... the mail was cursed too. But I got lucky again and hit a scroll of remove curse pretty quickly. Between a ?/2 staff of discord, a cursed ring of cv, an unid'd mace, and the key to another puzzle room, i went w/ the other puzzle room for the +3 ?scale? mail of mutality.

The next troubling encounter was with some shieldy goblins and an ogre... for which I backed my ogre ally into the bulge on the center-bottom of level 7 to take the aggro, and tossed him a potion of poisonous gas :X (life's rough when you're an ogre)

Still afraid to engage an ogre w/o a suitable weapon, I waved the wand of beckoning (which was unidentified) at an oncoming ogre... then finally realized why wands of beckoning can be useful: dropping ogres off of bridges. This wand alone got me past the next few ogres.

The spiders gave me a lot of trouble. I cleared most of the floor before engaging them, but between my starting dagger, and 4-strength-short war spear, they mostly pecked away at me until I camped out behind doors and got a lucky spree of hits in.

A bog monster came very close to doing me in... it grabbed me, and a jelly entered the room at the same time. Going against the bog monster (my armor was enchanted, but not my weapon... big mistake) was not looking good, so I quaffed the remaining unidentified potions to score a potion of confusion. The bog monster and jellies duked it out, and I mostly stood there in absolute terror.

Then, level 11... A trio of ogres chased me down, and cornered me in a room. When it became apparent that chances of success versus all three through melee were negligible, I started burning scrolls. Lo and behold! Summon monsters. Into my already crowded closet I summoned a _zombie and a willowisp_. Normally that would be instant death for me, BUT I had a potion of fire immunity! Even with that, I made it out of the room with a seemingly empty health bar and two ogres in pursuit. Seeing a lake between us, I made a bee-line for it and dove in. Half my gear floated away, but safely on the other side I saw that the ogres were no longer in pursuit (that was kinda weird, I would think they'd go around the (admittedly large) lake...). Cherishing my suprior intelligence, I got my Zzzzs on next to the lake, and was murdered by an eel.

Feature request: weekend contest drinking game mode
caseld

Postby Nillo » March 5th, 2012, 2:18 am

Here is my recording: http://solidfiles.com/d/27160588af/

Some notes about my run:

Lots of vaults on depth 3. I had wasted my fire immunity potion so there was no way for me to get the last key without risking a fiery death. However, I could pick up the runic armor in another vault.

On depth 5 I find a fire immunity potion, and go back to depth 3 to get the key. However, it turns out that I could survive the fire even without it. Still, better safe than sorry, I suppose. :P

On depth 7, I encountered an extremely annoying ogre. I panicked, and started enchanting my chain mail to provide me with additional defense. However, this was probably not a good idea since it is a low-level armor and will not be useful later in the game.

On depth 12, I found a captive Centaur - I've never had this ally before! He was incredibly powerful and defeated dar blademasters before they could reach him. I also noticed that enemies hit by his arrows would keep "Wandering" instead of becoming aggressive (possibly a bug?). However, he sometimes didn't retreat when he was in danger. A zombie attacked the centaur until he was only at about 10% health.

I went back to depth 11 and found a secret room where a door key was guarded by a black jelly. Knowing that these jellies are quite dangerous, I threw some of my potions that had been detected as "bad" on it. The black jelly was confused, and became easy prey for my loyal centaur.

On depth 13, my centaur was defeated by an ambushing naga. This greatly reduced my combat ability. I finally decided to enchant one of my war hammers and equip it. Wielding the hammer, I was able to slay trolls with great ease.

On depth 14, I was cornered by a wraith and threw an incendiary dart at it to make it go away. This was a big mistake, because the wraith escaped over one of the rope bridges, burning it down and preventing passage. Thankfully I found another way around the chasm. I rescued a captive pixie, giving me a new ranged companion again.

On depth 15, my pixie was killed by an enemy pixie. I thought it would be able to handle it since it had more health, but it made the wrong decisions during the fight. I found a door key in an explosive gas room, but I could not find the locked door, so I had to search through the whole level. I started running out of food, so I had to abandon the search.

On depth 16, I fell through a hole in the ground. Then I fell through another hole right after that, so I ended up way below my intended depth. I was forced to fight my way back up the stairs, killing pixies and ogres.

On depth 19, I was finally killed by a pixie. The greatest weakness of my character was that he had no ranged attack. The pixie could take advantage of this by continuously slowing me and casting lightning bolts. I tried to kill the pixie with a potion of incineration, but I was standing too close and got hit by the flames as well. RIP.

Random thoughts:
Very few staves were found (only a staff of discord in one vault early on). I wanted to try a build that included the ring of wisdom, but without any good staves this was not possible.
I probably shouldn't have enchanted my chain mail, but it seemed like the only way to survive at the time.
I really enjoyed using the war hammer in the later part of this run. I should try to make characters that take advantage of this weapon more often, since it is highly effective against nearly everything (except for pixies, haha).

My final score: 14461 03/03/12 Burned to death on level 19.
Nillo

Postby AMP » March 5th, 2012, 8:49 am

Died on 6th trying to rescue the captive Ogre, the guarding Ogre took us all out.
AMP

Postby Pender » March 5th, 2012, 11:38 am

mikeym wrote:(BTW, I quit the game in frustration without checking my score... is there a way to get it from the recording?)

Just fast-forward to the last turn and look at how much gold you have.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » March 5th, 2012, 11:48 am

There was a war axe on depth 8, which paired nicely with the +3 chain mail of mutuality. Somewhere along the way I found a troll ally who was indomitable, and ultimately survived me. Had to wait until depth 15 to get an attack staff (firebolt 2) to go with the +3 ring of wisdom. I had four scrolls of enchanting saved up at that point, which I dumped into firebolt, thinking I had it made. Then I read an unidentified scroll, and it was summon monsters, and a zombie, ogre shaman pack and dar pack 'ported in around me, and I just couldn't handle it. Too bad. Other stupid, unforced errors: reading a scroll of protect armor with no armor on, degrading my mutuality armor three times to a single acid turret, and negating an ogre ally who had learned to cast protection.

Recording here.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby dpeg » March 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Died ignominiously on D:3. Lots to learn. Fortunately, a later game in the same session got me deeper down than ever.

Anyway, fun fact: you don't seem to be able to enter the seed without the mouse. I tried Ctrl-N (for New game) until I realised it must be a mouse thing.

Does the seed determine more than level layout, monster and item placement, like combat rolls?
dpeg

Postby Joshua Day » March 5th, 2012, 2:29 pm

dpeg wrote:Anyway, fun fact: you don't seem to be able to enter the seed without the mouse. I tried Ctrl-N (for New game) until I realised it must be a mouse thing.

This does need to be fixed, but if you're playing on Linux (as seems likely), you can just use the -s switch to start a new game with a seed.
Joshua Day

Postby rubybliels » March 5th, 2012, 2:45 pm

8581 gold. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55767640/030212rubybliels.broguerec

Highlights:

Depth 3: I see the key across a chasm and use all my potions hoping for levitation. I finally realize I just needed to search for the hidden door.

Depth 4: A monkey steals my darts, and I eventually give up chasing him. Luckily I don't need darts at all after that.

Depth 6: I have a close call against a vampire bat. I luck out by reading an unidentified scroll of cause fear. An ogre takes me down to 5% health, but in the end is no match for me and my ogre ally.

Depth 7: I let my 2 ogre allies take care of all the acid mounds, monkeys, and toads. Unfortunately one of them dies thanks to a caustic gas trap.

Depth 9: My ogre learns protection.

Depth 10: I free a goblin mystic. Having 2 protection casting allies is really effective, as they keep shielding me and each other.

Depth 12: My goblin mystic plunges out of site.

Depth 11: With no backup, my ogre eventually falls to a party of ogres. I have to use health potion but I manage to survive. I decide to put all my enchantment scrolls into my +2 war hammer.

Depth 12: I free a centaur.

Depth 13: Goblin mystics are extremely fragile, but my mystic ally has managed to survive over 1000 turns and is waiting for me near the stairs. I free a troll.

Depth 14: My centaur steps on a confusion trap. Luckily my goblin mystic avoids the gas and keeps me alive against a troll. While I am away fighting a couple of ogres a lightning turret kills my mystic and my centaur. I free a pixie.

Depth 15: My pixie catches fire and burns to death. While in a reasonably small room a wraith steps on a confusion trap, and then on a caustic gas trap. I move around randomly for a while, hoping to get to an exit. My health gets low so I use my last potion of healing. I had forgotten that it also removes confusion. Unfortunately, a dar blademaster steps on the confusion trap on the very next turn. Yet somehow I manage to avoid getting hit by the confusion gas (confusion gas avoids going in the same spot as caustic gas maybe?). I run towards the exit. I die one space away from safety.
rubybliels

Postby Guitar » March 5th, 2012, 3:16 pm

rubybliels wrote:8581 gold. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55767640/030212 ... .broguerec
Depth 15: My pixie catches fire and burns to death. While in a reasonably small room a wraith steps on a confusion trap, and then on a caustic gas trap. I move around randomly for a while, hoping to get to an exit. My health gets low so I use my last potion of healing. I had forgotten that it also removes confusion. Unfortunately, a dar blademaster steps on the confusion trap on the very next turn. Yet somehow I manage to avoid getting hit by the confusion gas (confusion gas avoids going in the same spot as caustic gas maybe?). I run towards the exit. I die one space away from safety.

I died a very similar way. I think if I had dropped an item on the confusion trap, so that it could not be triggered again, and used a potion of healing to remove confusion I may have survived but alas, I spent my last moments of life stumbling around with two dar blademasters (I think) trying in vain to escape that accursed room, until my still-living flesh rotted from my bones.

Before that I was doing great however, with +6 armor of mutuality, and a +5 hammer.
Guitar

Postby Guitar » March 5th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Also, I forgot that at the last minute a will-o-the-wisp walked into the room, turning everything into a blazing inferno. A most fitting way to die!
Guitar

Postby Pender » March 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm

dpeg wrote:Anyway, fun fact: you don't seem to be able to enter the seed without the mouse. I tried Ctrl-N (for New game) until I realised it must be a mouse thing.

Hmm, must be an issue with the libtcod port, since crtl-N works on the Mac. I'm sure we'll roll a fix into subsequent releases.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Pender » March 5th, 2012, 11:16 pm

dpeg wrote:Does the seed determine more than level layout, monster and item placement, like combat rolls?

If you start with the same seed and execute exactly the same sequence of commands, then you'll get the same result. In that sense, yes. In fact, that is what recordings do. But if you diverge even slightly, then the chaos introduced into the RNG state by the discrepancy will instantly overwhelm any predictability, so in practice, no.
Pender
Site Admin

Postby Joshua Day » March 7th, 2012, 1:45 am

I finally annotated my game! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50746611/jday-competition-1.zip will give you two files -- jday-competition-1.broguerec and jday-competition-1.txt. Put them both in the folder with the Brogue executable, fire up the recording, and watch Brogue's built in annotations at work!

The short story: I don't enchant the chain mail, even though I should, and a salamander beats me to death.

(Or just crack open the text file to read some highlights of the run.)
Joshua Day

Postby Nillo » March 8th, 2012, 9:04 am

Are we going to have another contest this weekend? I'd love to see if I can beat my previous record in the next one.
Nillo

Postby boa13 » March 8th, 2012, 1:51 pm

In that case, I think it would be better to start a new thread. We'll see tomorrow if mikeym stepped up again. :) Else, it's not hard to pick up the same template.
boa13

Postby mmm » March 9th, 2012, 9:14 am

Mikeym, the weekend contest is a brilliant idea and loads of fun. (Sadly, my 'loads of fun' only lasted about 60 seconds before I stupidly died on lvl 1 due to caustic gas and a kobold blocking the way out)

Your contest idea makes the game much more exciting (although only for the most brutally honest of players; the kind that never cheat in a game of solitaire).

Here's why: Normally, if I'm lucky enough to find a ring on dl 1 or 2, I try it on immediately. If it's uncursed, I play on very carefully due to the auspicious start. But if it's cursed, I quit the game and start again. Why spend the next hour walking around in the dark with a cursed ring of clarvoiyance - when I can immediately restart and maybe find a +4 staff of poison waiting for me on level 1?

Dpeg recently mentioned how Brogue's play resembles an arcade game. I agree. So why not put in another quarter and start again? I suspect that I'm not alone in such despicable 'unbroguelike' behavior. But when there's a contest, then everything is very different. The game becomes truly exciting, and every move counts. During a contest, It's not any longer an arcade game, but one single chance to find the amulet and save the universe. (and boast online about how deep you made it into the dungeon)

I don't see why someone should have to wait a whole week for 60 seconds of truly exciting Brogue? Why not have a daily contest instead? One game a day. That would be great.
mmm

Postby Nillo » March 9th, 2012, 10:22 am

I agree that the limitation of one try per contest makes the game much more exciting to play. No more restarting due to mediocre item generation - just keep playing until you die. :)

However, I think that daily contests would be too difficult to organize given the current structure of our forum. Unless improvements to the site are made, in my opinion a weekly contest is better, otherwise the forum would be flooded by posts that are only about those contests. Also, I kind of enjoy having a bit of time to reflect upon the success (or failure) of my contest character before the next contest begins - it makes that character feel more special.
Nillo

Postby thedrin » March 10th, 2012, 12:18 am

The random seed for this weekend, assuming it's happening and the same means of generating a random seed as last time is:

thedrin

Postby Pender » March 10th, 2012, 12:37 am

thedrin wrote:The random seed for this weekend, assuming it's happening and the same means of generating a random seed as last time is:

Ah, excellent, I'll start a new thread in mikeym's tradition.
Pender
Site Admin

Return to Brogue General Discussion